add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Fractal Design Define S. Is it better than the Define R5?

Veizin

56 months ago

From what I am getting, this is an R5 without the drive cages. Is everything else really the same? Can I expect the same noise levels from a windowless define S as I would from a windowless r5? I'm really into this new define S and I think it's the perfect match for me.

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

its a nice case and better than the R5 for watercooling. Probably in terms of noise levels , the R5 is probably the best case. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaU72f0hMVo

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

It started out so well... It could have been so much better. Why no noise dampening on the front panel? Why no fan controller? Why not have the option to mount the 3.5 drives on the front? Why still keep that 140mm side vent that no one in their right mind would use? Why remove the option to have dual fans at the bottom? I've just been doing some research and I think I'll stick to my plan to go r5. I'll just mount the 3 drive bracket at the top and pretend I'm not bitter about not having triple 140 fans like definse s users.

P.S. 3.5'' drives on right side of the tray. As opposed to only being able to put them on the left side of the tray at the moment. I know it would get in conflict with a rad there, but there would be a conflict only when there is a rad. For folks, who don't have a rad it would double the HDD capacity.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you sure you pasted the right link? This is just a quick and short article about the release of the R5? It doesn't even say much about the case itself as it's not a review article, but a news article.

I kind of already answered my question. Just look at my previous comment. I think they made a good new series of cases. Very in line with what the future holds imo. But I might wait for a Define S2.

I don't see why the fan controller had to go.

And you can't fit GPU waterblocks with a fan mounted on the side. And if you're not using liquid cooling for GPUs, the front triple 140mm is sufficient air for any kind of components. And even without gpu blocks, a lot of wide GPUs won't go well with a fan there.

They have already done the side panel dual mounting options in their low end core 2300. They could have had both compatibility for hard drives AND a pump on the other side of that mounting wall, allowing for 6 hard drives and a 360 rad(the front doesn't support 420 anyway).

As for the sound blocking foam on the front... I am thinking that one might have proven to be useless. But if it indeed was so, why still keep it on the R5? Probably isn't useless and does decrease some noise.

And the could have the option to have either a pump OR a fan to be mounted at the front part of the bottom side. This would also allow to keep the bottom filter accessible from the front, which really scored points with a lot of users and reviewers.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I had an R5 and replaced it with the S. I much preferred the ability mount the HDs to the back freeing up more space for better airflow.

In any case I have a Kraken X61 mounted in the front and it was the only thing I could hear on the R5. On the S it is noticeably louder IF I actively listen for it. Otherwise, the noise difference is negligible in my opinion.

I second Veizin that I wished they put some more noise dampening on the front panel and I do miss the fan controllers. But they were minor issues for me personally as I felt the R5 got a little cramped if you wanted to do SLI and mounted your AIO cooler to the front (if you have one).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube