add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can my PSU handle throwing an extra GTX 770 in for a dedicated Physx card?

Zeratul54
  • 59 months ago

I have recently upgraded my GPU to a GTX 980 from a GTX 770. I was planning on giving the 770 to a friend for his new build but he decided to purchase a more powerful card on his own so I have the 770 currently not being used.

With Witcher 3 releasing soon and with the heavy use of Physx in that game I figured I would install the 770 as a dedicated Physx card most for Witcher 3 and Batman: Arkham Knight. Problem is that I have a Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze PSU. If I add the 770 the total wattage used is 579 according to PCPartPicker. Is this safe to do? Would a more powerful PSU be required? I'm currently not overclocking my i5 or plan to overclock the GPUs.

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 4 points

The CX600 has trouble delivering full power at load temps, so in reality it's more like a 500-550W PSU. If you want to use your 770 with your 980 as a PhysX card, you'd probably need to upgrade to at least 750W.

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

the psu might be able to handle it as the 770 wouldn't be at max load. though selling it and buying a gtx750/750ti for physx is a better idea. also, the 770's large footprint will just make temps on your 980 suck.

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

I think you'd be better off selling that GPU. How much benefit are you expected to get? If nothing's overclocked the 4690k only pulls like 50W, I think, which is short of the 88w it's rated at. However, the 980's power draw can be much higher than the listed 165W, BUT it usually isn't. It can be like 250W, but that's only with certain models and under certain scenarios. During normal gaming sessions continuous power it sits well bellow the 200W mark. Also, that 770 shouldn't be using all of its available power as it's going to be doing Phys X work. That said t he CX 600W is really not a high quality PSU, but it should deliver what it promises. Check the Amps as well though. Those are just as important as the Watts.

Also that PSU's supposed to come with just 2 pcie connectors which are just enough for the 980. So you want even have the cables to run the 770w.

TL;DR Don't do it, sell that 770, buy yourself somethin nice, make a poor kid happy to have a 770 for cheap. Or spend more on a better power supply, at which point you should consider upgrading to a 4790k. To get the money for it, just sell the i5 and the 770. I'm pretty certain a 4790k would give you some more FPS than a dedicated PhysX card. Especially if your i5 is running it 3.5-3.7 GHz.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

pcpp gives a rough estimate only and thats at idle. I personally think 600w wont be enough especially with the cx600 which is a tier 3 psu.

On a site note im not sure if having it as a dedicated card is even beneficial it these days as high end cards such as a 980 should be able to run it without needing a dedicated card.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think it goes by idle... It shows a 970 ranging from ~36W to ~145W and uses the 145W marker in the total calculation. At least I really hope my card isn't pulling over 100W at idle...

And yes, I know the 970's power draw is just lies all around but you can see it with other cards as well.

• 59 months ago
  • 3 points

PcPP Doesn't display drawn power..... it shows TDP which is heat output.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

yes.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Which equals the rough approximate of the power draw, no?

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Not necesarrily. Gtx 970's can draw over 300w of power... that's almost double the TDP.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Not quite, but the gigabyte one comes out at around 250W, still well over the rated 145W. When you look at power usage metrics, make sure to check whether or not they are for the whole system, or just the card.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe on a single monitor but multiple monitors definitely doesnt idle at 36w haha. Idk i dont use the pcpp one anymore as i found it too inaccurate. Certain things like i think hdd's were 5w each and whatnot.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

That actually doesn't sound terribly unrealistic. Of course, that's how much it draws from the PSU, not how much it draws from the wall. Still, PCPP is inaccurate because it only rates in TDPs, which can be used as a rough estimate for power draw, but are in reality a measure of heat output.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't do it

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube