add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Silverstone DS380 NAS case needs a PSU that can supply >= 16amps on 5v rail

blahhumbug

55 months ago

I recently built a NAS box with 8 drives in the Silverstone DS380 NAS case. I installed a Silverstone Strider ST45SF-G PSU (450W SFX modular) which is the lowest wattage PSU I could find that was both SFX and also modular. However, I had problems getting the PSU to start up. I was able to power on a few times and install the OS and do some file copies, but after powering down once I was unable to get the system to ever restart while the sata backplane of the case was powered.

It turns out that the ST45SF-G can only supply 14A on the 5v rail which is the only rail powering the SATA backplane of the DS380. So if your harddrives are going to draw 1.75A each, then the PSU isn't going to be able to supply the current and won't let the system start up.

Silverstones 300W SFX PSU (ST30SF) can supply 20A on the 5v rail, but unfortunately is not modular. However after installing it in the case, I've had zero issues with the system not starting.

I've seen lots of reviews and posts of people using the DS380 and Silverston ST45SF-G PSU, but be warned that this PSU is right on the hairy edge of being able to reliably power 8 harddrives in this case.

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube