add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Free Windows 10 strategy

The_Governor
  • 61 months ago

These days I'm a little behind on my nerd-knowledge. So, I'm on the verge of a new build and I need an OS. I understand Windows 10 is not far off, perhaps end-of-July, and I hear you get it as a free upgrade if you're running Windows 7 or 8. Should I just buy the cheapest Windows 7 I can find ($55 Windows 7 Home Premium) ? If not, what then?

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Your version of Windows 10 will correspond to the version of Windows 7 or 8 you have. I don't know whether Microsoft will finally end 32-bit support on Windows 10, but I would get a decent OS even for now. Those are my thoughts; I have no knowledge of the OS downloads (but if it were me, I would just go the way you have a warranty).

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

As far as I know, any genuine Windows 7 (all versions)/Windows 8 & 8.1 users as well as bootleg copy users will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 within the first year of it's launch. The move is intended to bring China in control lol!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Just note that bootleg copies will not all of a sudden become legit with the upgrade.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

...bootleg copy users will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 within the first year of it's launch.

PC World: It's official: Windows 10 will not be free for pirates...

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Buy Raspberry Pi B 2 - $35. Comes with free license of Windows 10 IoT edition.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

If intent on obtaining Windows 10: PCWorld

Note the concerns of unanswered questions.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 10 still will run on 32bit

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows - Home Premium - will probably be all the average user will ever need. Pro, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions are probably overkill. Basic versions will be too wimpy for average use. There are cases where someone may need more, but on average... Home Premium is the sweet spot.

As far as having media is concerned, I prefer to have something more than just a special partition myself.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

So im about to buy my first build, and im looking for the answer in these forums, but cant seem to find it. If you dont have an OS from the start, can you download Win10 when it comes out, or need to have 7/8 installed to get 10 for free? Just wondering if i can save that initial price from the buy list... hope that makes sense.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Approved OS required.

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

That sub is not allowed here. Those keys are not legitimately sold and break MS TOS. Please do not link it again.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yikes, sorry!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube