add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

why is cx series so popular if it's so bad?

mlmh024
  • 59 months ago

Everyone is all nooooooo don't buy that. But so many people still do. Why? Just my random question of the day.

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 4 points

Most people tend to look at the star ratings on sites like newegg and such. Or they believe, it must be better. It costs more. While the people who actually recommend something else tend to look for other reviews from sites like jonnyguru.com that actually break a psu down to its core. Of course there is also the gold, silver ratings, which mean squat in actual quality of a psu.

• 59 months ago
  • 4 points

Because information is not known to all... It actually plays into a few major things, such as Game Theory.

For example, when I was building my computer a few months ago, I only used this site for compatibility and saving parts lists; never went into the forums. I got my PSU advice from a coworker who said SeaSonic (either original seller or OEM) was the best.

• 59 months ago
  • 4 points

Look at the Kingston SSD V300 Now! series. Highly rated, must be good, right? Nope, it used to be but they screwed it over and made the performance worse. And so it's still being bought today because people never bothered to change their reviews.

The CX series is only popular because some people originally bought it because it was Corsair and so "It must be good!", starting an endless cycle.

I own one. I regret buying it. Don't get them.

• 59 months ago
  • 3 points

griffscavern, fh100, vitacomp are all correct(partially correct, but doesn't matter since the point was made) in their reasons why the CX series is so popular.

Lettme also direct you to a thread made by our old friend Lachlantula(Moved onto reddit): https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/76389-let-us-try-make-the-corsair-cx-extinct

I also have one of these units, but i got mine back in 2013 when they were so damn cheap ~40$ for cx500m ~50$ for cx600m(Also, there was no competition with those PSU's since they were so cheap). I also was one of those people who fell under the impression "Corsair is a good company," "High user ratings on amazon and newegg? Must be a good power supply." Hell, even back in the old topics i made in 2013, NOBODY said anything about the CX Series being crap. Now that solid reviews and testings have been done, we the consumers/ end users, can make much more informed decisions(But even still, there's still a surplus of people who don't read the in-depth reviews and testings of these units).

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm still here :D

• 59 months ago
  • 3 points

I bought it for my first build based on ''ooh look it has 5 stars and its pretty cheap''. Died in under a month. I will hate on the CX till the day it is discontinued. And then I will build a shrine just to reflect on how much I hate it.

• 59 months ago
  • 3 points

The first? of the CX series, Corsair CX400 model along with other highly reviewed models such as their HX620 were originally manufactured by Seasonic. Corsair switched OEM about a year after the good reviews were out.

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

Electrically they aren't terrible, in that a good unit that isn't DOA or dead in a month has OKish voltage regulation and ripple suppression, far superior to some POS like a Coolmax or the like. So a reviewer gets a unit that has been checked to see if it actually works and hasn't had time for one of the caps to go bad. It functions fine for a cheaper unit in those circumstances, but even then they notice that it gets real loud at about 80% capacity, which any PSU when new should be able to deliver for short periods.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

They also can't stand heat very well, which leads to shorter lifespans. Chinese capacitors and all.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Mine died in less than a month

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

At the time they were first released, they were not bad for the price, since not many other decent PSUs under $100 existed. However, now we have lots of great cheap units, like the EVGA GS series, XFX TS and XTR series, EVGA 750B2, Enermax Revolution X't series, and Corsair's own CS series, so the CX series is no longer a good value.

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

Here is a list of the PSUs based on Tiers. Tier 1 is the best. as you can see, the PSUs I use, EVGA Supernova G2 is the Tier 1 (best).

http://i.imgur.com/tgrbCnr.jpg

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for providing useful information.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube