add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Decent PSU and I'm lost

PytSkee
  • 59 months ago

My build needs to be sufficient for gaming. My CPU isn't overclockable but my GPU is and I'm not sure I want to bother with it. I'll be using max 350-400W, so I'm thinking a 650-750W power supply. I really don't have any background knowledge on PSU brands, so suggestions? I want the cheapest reliable unit I can get.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1246 V3 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $277.95 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $26.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI H97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $87.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $63.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.99 @ Newegg
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.00 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card $349.99 @ Directron
Case NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower Case $89.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ NCIX US
Case Fan NZXT Air Flow Series 83.6 CFM 140mm Fan $15.65 @ OutletPC
Case Fan NZXT Air Flow Series 83.6 CFM 140mm Fan $15.65 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan $5.99 @ NCIX US
Case Fan Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan $5.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $137.99 @ Best Buy
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse $52.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1380.12
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $1350.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-12 16:33 EDT-0400

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 3 points

The one you have there should be good for that system. It's made by Seasonic for EVGA, and it got a solid review from PCperspective, so I'd go for it.

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

I would recommend a Evga B2 750 wtt psu, it is on par with the 550 watt and 650 watt GS psu's. Also you can not judge how good a psu is based on brand alone unless its Seasonic or XFX.

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

you forgot superflower.... also an excellent brand.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-110b20750vr Is this the unit you're referring to? I almost don't believe it because of the price, but if it's a good PSU I'm happy.

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, its a good psu, but if you want something better I would recommend a Evga G2 750 watt psu.

http://i.imgur.com/tgrbCnr.jpg

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

Believe it. Its a good psu. Price does not always indicate better. The g2 that vagabond suggested is better and has a 10 year warranty.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

So basically go for an EVGA G2 if I can afford it and B2 if I can't. Sounds simple enough to me. Thanks for clearing that up; feel free to comment on the rest of my build that should be (corrected) on the other side of this link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Hn2nqs

• 59 months ago
  • 3 points

That GS is better than the B2. If you can't swing the G2 get the GS you already chose.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't need the CPU cooler with that Xeon. The stock cooler will work great.

[comment deleted]
  • 59 months ago
  • 2 points

the evga 550GS you have in there (or the Seasonic G550)is fine for any overclock you can ever do on that gpu. that system simple cannot be a strain on a good 550 watt psu. the gpu will become unstable at certain clocks above 1600mhz/8200mhz anyway and the power delivery components will blow up long before it puts a strain on a good 550 watt psu. seriously, what could you need from a 750 watt psu with a locked cpu, a 970 and a motherboard that will not even support another gpu? nothing but false assurance and a total waste of time/money. the parts in this build you should change if anything are to a motherboard and case around the same price as those but pack more features and are much better values. namely the Z97 Pro 4 or H97 D3H (I'd pay the extra $10 for the audio connectors alone) and Phanteks Enthoo Pro. all this psu hysteria is getting tired. you don't have to run a load that's half of what a good psu can handle. that's the point of buying a good psu. the be quiet pure rock is a better alternative to the 212 EVO as well.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks so much for the content! I'm actually glad you mentioned the mobo and case as well since I've been looking for opinions on those as well. Do you prefer the Seasonic PSU over the original unit I had then?

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

both those psu are made by seasonic. it seems the seasinic G550 is a better psu than the 550GS and currently cheaper (before rebtae) but the 550GS is fully modular.

[comment deleted]
  • 59 months ago
  • 1 point

full load you mean? what is this 500 watt estimation based on?

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube