add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Xbox 360 Sized Case?

MichaelNiayesh

77 months ago

Hello,

I would like to build a very small, console sized build that's about the same size as an Xbox 360, yet still able to play pretty much any game with ultra settings.

It will be a Mini ITX build with an Intel i7 4770K, an Nvidia GTX 670 (4gb), 16gb RAM and a 1 TB Hard Drive, maybe with an SSD for the Windows partition.

However, when I look at the Mini ITX cases they're all rather cube shaped instead of console shaped.

My favorite case is this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-case-isk110vesa but I don't know if everything will fit!

Please tell me if everything will fit, and if not, please recommend me another Xbox 360 sized case where everything will fit.

PS. Don't say it isn't possible because the Alienware x51 is a prime example, except it's overpriced.

Thank you.

Comments

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

the problem you have is the video card that is what will make your case thicker. if you really want really a small build you will have to do one of two things. forgo the video card or deal will a larger case. you will not fin a case that can fit a power supply video card and mobo. this will most likly be the smallest case that can fit what you want. http://pcpartpicker.com/b/DBW

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the reply, but what about the Alienware x51?

Here's a picture:

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/2961377/alienware-x51-main_large_verge_super_wide.jpg

And it has a GTX 670!

Basically, I want to build my own, not overpriced version of the x51 if possible.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

alienware is a branch of dell. they like have the ability to make their own motherboards and incorporate the graphics processor onto it like laptops.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

after doing so more research there is a way you "MIGHT" be able to use. http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SATA-Cables-PCI-E-Degree/dp/B005FEGXXY this will change the orientation of the gpu. this may cause some problems and may even make you have to modify the case to accept the outputs of the card. please do more research on this before you buy any parts.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for looking, but I'll probably just get the x51 because it's not actually overpriced!

The x51 with the GTX 670, i7 4770, 16gb RAM and 1TB hard disk + 250gb SSD is about $1,400, and if I build a PC myself with appoxmately the same specs (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1kbuX) it's about the same price, except I have to put everything together and the case isn't as nice!

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

the alienware comes with a gtx660 not gtx670 like you have in your build. the 660 is not ti and is much different then the 670

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

you also have a 4th generation i7 prossecore the alienware comes with a 3rd generation. again both very different.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

No, look in the link I sent you, it has a 4th gen i7 4770.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

You are correct, they are more square and "taller" or wider depending upon perspective than an xbox 360. This is probably because they are meant to hold 3.5 inch drives, and OEM DVD drives, neither of which would fit comfortably in an xbox 360. In addition, you have to fit the power supply INSIDE your case, whereas the 360 has an external power supply like a laptop. Also, when a manufacturer has control over all the contents and are trying to appeal to a certain market base, it is alot easier to design and in some cases develop hardware to fit in a certain way. Graphics cards are alot smaller when you remove their cooling shroud and heat pipes. Perhaps they are cooling the 670 in some other manor.

Mostly, the same things that make purchasing a case separate from other components like on a self build computer, also make it bad. The same versatility that sets it apart from an xBox 360. The price point and upgrade-ability that set it apart from an x51, also force it to conform to more traditional looks. Both for structural integrity and component compatibility.

That being said, there are plenty that have "more rectangular" form factors though. Did you really look through all of these: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/case/#qq=1&t=9,10&sort=a6

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Couldn't you just flip the 3.5 inch drives/DVD Drives on the side?

Aswell, if it's possible, an external power supply would be fine for me.

Also, believe it or not, I have looked through all the Mini ITX cases, but the more rectangular ones that I've found don't support full size GPUs!

If you could recommend me a nice 'Xbox 360 style' case that fits a GTX 680 that would be great.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

If you could recommend me a nice 'Xbox 360 style' case that fits a GTX 680 that would be great.

Sorry, I don't think that product exists. Does the x51 have a full sized 670 in it? If so, they may be using a daughter board or have a special motherboard like what you run in a server. Again, they can have special components and short wires and custom cooling etc that allow them to offer this product. Maybe you can buy an xbox 360 (broken) and mod it to fit your components????

Also, believe it or not, I have looked through all the Mini ITX cases, but the more rectangular ones that I've found don't support full size GPUs!

What if you remove the cooling shroud, would it fit then? What about workstation GPUS like AMD firepro?

Aswell, if it's possible, an external power supply would be fine for me.

I have never seen this besides just sticking a regular ATX power supply outside of the case. That would look crappier than just going with a Coolermaster 120 advanced or Bitfenix prodigy. Both of which look amazing, and are very functional (as they fit full sized GPU's).

Couldn't you just flip the 3.5 inch drives/DVD Drives on the side?

Well sure, and there are some cases that do just that. The point is, all of these things together take up more space than you could fit inside an xbox 360. Sure you can require laptop parts like slot load DVD-Rom drives (connector only found on microATX motherboards though) and laptop hdd's in the 2.5 inch form factor. But until you go completely custom on every part, its not gonna fit.

If I was you, I would look into the market and see if there is a market for products like you are requesting. Maybe you can create a business providing a niche product and make lots o money. :)

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

How about this case: http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-tu200/ ?

It's a rather small Mini ITX case that supports a full size (300mm) GPU, is very light (3.15kg), is made entirely of aluminium and has a handel on the top!

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

You can see the custom riser card they use to change the orientation of the GPU, and they use a custom external power supply. In addition they use a laptop style slot load DVD drive. The managed to fit a full sized hdd in there though. So no, it will not be possible for you to build something like that right now. Maybe in a couple of years.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

How about this case: http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-tu200/ ?

It's a rather small Mini ITX case that supports a full size (300mm) GPU, is very light (3.15kg), is made entirely of aluminium and has a handel on the top!

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

It is a very nice, and very very expensive case. It has USB 3.0 ports on the front, and a single 140mm fan. It runs full sized ATX PSU's too, which is great! You can turn the PSU to draw in warm/hot air from the case and exhaust it, but I wouldn't want to do that if it would actually be warm or hot.

I think that case is really nice, and I would love to have one for a build. The CM 120 advanced is a little smaller, but it will be much lower build quality as well. See if you can find any review videos of your chosen case, that's what I usually do.

Some dimension info on this and popular mini-itx cases:
case~~hxwxd = volume
CM elite 120 15.8 x 9.4 x 8.2 = 1217.864 cubic inches
Lian-Li PC-TU200A 13.35 x 8.7 x 11.42 = 1326.3759 cubic inches
Bitfenix Prodigy 15.91 x 9.84 x 14.13 = 2212.113672 cubic inches

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

The Bitfenix is way too big and heavy, and the Coolmaster is (in my opinion) hideous.

I know the Lian Li is expensive but I'm willing to spend a bit more to make it look a lot nicer.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Silverstone also makes some very beautiful mini-itx cases, just like Lian-Li.

Silverstone makes this interesting looking case that seems awesome. Its the FT03. They have a mini-itx version as well as a micro-atx version

As a fallback you can also look at HTPC's so it will look more "audio equipment/DVD player-like". They are larger though, and I would switch to a micro-atx build as it is the same price and gets you more.

This is one of those things you should take your time on and find the right one the first time around. Like I said, that Lian-Li looks gorgeous and functional, and it would be fun to put a build in one. I haven't watched any review videos yet though.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Something like this? http://pcpartpicker.com/b/zh7

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

I like that one too, but I still think I'll stick with the Lian Li. :)

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely taller then a X-Box but I say check out the Cooler Master RC-902XB-KKN1, great looking little case and I am planning on using one for a HTPC Case.

On a side note about the GPU height, you can always look into low profile options. Not to sure on them myself though but still worth looking into.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

But that thing's huge!

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah its bigger but its the only one (That isn't mATX or Mini ITX) that would be close to the size of the original Xbox.

Xbox = 309MM(W) x 83MM (H) x 258MM(D) CM = 442MM(W) x 330MM(H) x 423MM(D)

Was just a suggestion though ;-)

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

What's wrong with Mini ITX?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube