add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel 4790k Need Cooler? - Not Overclocking

dangerousdave
  • 59 months ago

I'm an old guy doing a build for the first time in about 15 years. I'm going to be using an Asus Maximus Hero VII mb, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory, Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case & Corsair PS. No plans for an add on video card since gaming is rare to never. Just going to do occasional video editing, burning DVD's etc + business work.

Any need for anything beyond the stock Intel fan etc?

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

You don't need a such a high end motherboard if you aren't going to overclock and I would recommend getting a Xeon 1231, its basically is a locked i7.

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

I cannot recommend getting the 500R in 2015 it's internals are limiting and severely beat in it's price range. dust protection is also terrible in this case. as for the cpu, you'll still need a cooler as it comes overclocked pretty high out of the box. even people with coolers like the 212 evo and other budget coolers run very high temps with this cpu if using the stock auto settings as the vcore can go upwards of 1.25v. given that it's not a gaming system you are looking at the wrong choice of cpu/motherboard for sure. what power supply are you looking at?

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't recommend getting that high-end motherboard, especially if you're not overclocking or even adding a GPU. 16GB of RAM and an i7 can come in handy for video editing of course. Also, Corsair PSUs are generally junk compared to alternatives. Take a look at this list for good ones. Ideally you want at least a Tier 2 unit, although since you're not adding a GPU you could probably do just fine with a Tier 3.

Anyways, the stock cooler will work but it may get hot while editing. You could optionally get a cheaper i7, so take a look at some comparisons to the locked 4790: http://ark.intel.com/compare/80806,80807

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a pretty big blanket you're using when it comes to Corsair PSUs. Not ALL of the Corsair offerings are horrible. Even then the current horribleness of the Tier 3 CX(M) series only really kicks in when the warranty expires. (I can't speak for the RM series, but it seems to not have the same reputation.) They still offer good quality Tier 2 and Tier 1 PSUs. Even the link you provide shows some of them... plus this link does as well. (Yes, my link does include old/obsolete models, but it also includes some models still available and NOT on the Tom's list.)

Other than that, I would agree that high end of a board is budget overkill with overclocking features that won't be used plus the premium add-on cost of it being labeled a ROG board. The business line of boards will work nicely (B85 chipset: the vast majority of those motherboards can be had for less than $100 USD) and offer pretty much all the features the OP will ever need.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Only Tier one and Tier 3. And your list IS outdated as you said, and the TomsHardware link is a continuation of that thread. Actually, the thread I posted is a continuation of the continuation. The old CX series was good when they were made by Seasonic, but not anymore. Corsair's only good PSUs are the AX and HX series, and those are overpriced to **** compared to alternatives.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Tom's does mention the problems to its newly updated list too. One of them being discontinued units that are still available for sale. They do discuss having a list of "not recommended" units to cover all past units that were tier 4 or tier 5 (and I would assume the tier 3 units like the Corsair CX(M) series that has shown serious problems after warranty expiration when they are finally officially discontinued.) That NewEgg Community list does have some maintenance, but it pretty much is: add a unit after confirmation of where to place it in the list.

AS a side note, a few weeks back I managed to snag a HX750 at a good price: < $110 USD shipped, plus MIR of $30 USD. But, as with anything, how good of a deal that can be had depends on how often it goes on sale, and what kind of sale price it is. I've also seen other brands that, IMHO, are overpriced too.

[comment deleted]
  • 59 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are not overclocking then coolers don't needed.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point
  • If you are not overclocking then coolers don't needed.

Well, you do need a cooler. No way around that unless you jump many generations backwards into obsolescence and go retro.

As the i7-4790K does include a cooler in the retail version, it isn't necessary to buy another one unless you have a preference for lower noise and/or a CPU that runs cooler than stock cooling allows. But, yes, without overclocking, the need to purchase an aftermarket cooler doesn't extend past a preference.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Just grab a 212 evo for like $35! Such a small price for a big difference and it could lead to a longer CPU life

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I like the idea of the 212 Evo however, quite a few reviews on Newegg mention that it can be loud. Is that going to be the case with any CPU cooler? I would want to get a cooler (<$100) but prefer one that's a little lower db compared to others. Any suggestions?

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I have this one and it keeps temps very low while not being even audible - The fan runs only at 380rpm while idle and ramps up to only 500rpm when under load - the temps never get over the 55degree mark and its idles at 28degrees

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks very much Stuart. That looks like a possibility!

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I ended up yesterday receiving a present of a 212 Evo so I will be using a cooler after all. I'm taking my sweet time getting all of my parts together. Thanks everyone.

• 59 months ago
  • 0 points

Not trying to be a smart aleck. Just curious as to why people choose to pay a premium for "K" cpu's and then go on to say they don't plan on overclocking. Is there a reason that escapes me?

• 59 months ago
  • 3 points

To give them the option later and it has better resale value.

• 59 months ago
  • 3 points

isn't the 4790k clocked 400mhz higher than the 4790 right out of the box?

I don't OC, not worth the hassle and extra cooling costs to me as there is usually no real world difference... but getting 400mhz higher clock out of the box is worth the extra $10-20

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube