add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Good PSU under $30

Geode1010
  • 59 months ago

Hello,

I need a good PSU under $30. Preferably a modular but maybe not. I'm scared now since the cheap PSUs are spitting out sparks and starting fires. Also above 300W.

Thank You, Geode1010

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

honestly..... good is very difficult. this is an acceptable tier 3 semi modular unit

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx430m

under 40 with MIR

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

a good psu under $30 does not exist.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Hardware > CPUs" to "Hardware > Power Supplies".

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

This one will do it: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/raidmax-power-supply-rx530ss

If you're trying to build a console killer, I'd advise you move some of your CPU budget to the GPU budget.

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points
  1. Find me a PSU with that many reviews that doesn't have a few one star reviews.

2. It has a 4/5 rating after over 1K reviews

3. You're asking for a $30 supply, did you expect it to be made out of solid gold?

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

Sort of...

FINE i'll go with that then

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

exactly. guy has left himself no good choices, just less flammable ones.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Eeewwww. Raidmax are tier 4. That one isn't any better. High failure rates, bad ripple suppression.

Quote:

Pros: 135mm fan, semi-modular, finally 12v rail heavy (20a, 17a for video cards, fans)instead of 5v (hard drive) oriented like turn of the century designs.

Cons: STILL CLAIMING OUT OF SPEC RIPPLE! 70mv is waaay too much ripple on the 3.3v and 5v line! MAX ripple by ATX specification is 50mv. High failure rate. Dual rail is NOT good for high end video cards. You are better off with a big fat single rail or shared triple rail design.

Other Thoughts: Do you want to trust a PSU that has out of spec ratings right on the side of it? Ripple will shorten the life of your components! Spend a few bucks more and at least get an Antec (not a basiq) or something! Don't buy into the "more watts the better" hype. Unless you are running quad-core with 8800 GTX in SLI you probably dont need more than a good quality 400w PSU. Bottom line: DON'T buy a cheap PSU if you want a reliable and stable system, period!

End quote.

Another one

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1989334/power-supply-corsair-cx430m-raidmax-hybrid-530ss-530w.html

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Meanwhile in the real world this PSU has 4/5 eggs after over 1,000 people reviewed it on Newegg alone.

The tier list is highly suspect as a useful tool for determining PSU quality and applicability. Please do your own research.

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

it is junk though. haven't seen one of these that didn't die/explode in someone's system, but that's because people buy it for a mid range or high end gaming system. ;)

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I say it's one step above junk :D

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

XD

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't go by what the tier list recommends only. I look around. Raidmax are low quality psu. If you can find me a good review on it I would consider changing my view. Personally the amazon and newegg reviews mean little to me.

Hence the reason I quoted other sources.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

How about a personal review, seeing as I own one?

And really now, you're saying that you find it hard to believe one thousand people, but you'd believe a single guy that sets up a review site and does a blog post on what he thinks of the PSU? Even though one of these two things is a lot more likely to be influenced by money?

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh no..... Another fight over raidmax....

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Just so you know, I know you have your opinion and I have mine. I hope you don't think I was bashing you at all. Not my intent. You help a lot of people out on here, and I respect that. Don't hate me. Lol

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100w10430kr

Thats the cheapest one I would reccomend. Its under $30 with mir and just above without. Also the 70 4 star reviews on newegg is good for the price.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-ea380dgreen

Had one in my NAS for a long time until I switched all the components to 80+ Gold.

• 59 months ago
  • 0 points

You aren't going to get a good psu for under $30 unless there is a XFX psu that drops the $26, its just not possible, the cheapest fully modular psu off the top of my head taht is good is the Evga GS series which cost around $60. The cheapest psu that is good is currently the Evga B2 750 watt psu, its currently is $49.99 and it is semi modular.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't recommend that psu, you can get a Evga B2 750 watt psu which is just as good, bigger, and cheaper.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Not really. That PSU is from NCIX USA which doesn't give shipping quotes. And EVGA doesn't get good reviews on their rebate forums.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

That psu is good, its Superflower based unit, Superflower doesn't have one bad unit out there.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=393

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

The PSU is good, it's just a little expensive.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

NCIX Canada gives free shipping on orders over 50$. I'd imagine it'd be the same in the U.S.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I wish that was true. I bought my g2 from ncixus and it cost 12 bucks for shipping. That was a $99 dollar order.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

K. Thanks

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Also you mind posting a link to your build?

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

get rid of that GT 740 asap, it has a horrible price to performance ratio like all Nivdia cards that are weaker than a GTX 960, I would get a R7 260X which obliterates it.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Could you recommend a GPU under $100?

[comment deleted]
  • 59 months ago
  • 1 point

It's within a $600 budget.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

you need to get a cheaper case, half the price of that one at most, a good psu and a better gpu.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I was very picky about the case. This was perfect and GREAT for cable management. Besides this is about a PSU, not a case or a GPU.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube