add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Please help rank these cases based on cost-efficiency

Xelanger

55 months ago

Hi there, I've been reading reviews on the below cases but most reviews have the suggested retail cost in mind. For instance, this review (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6102/fractal-design-define-r4-case-review-evolution-not-revolution/7) recommends the Fractal Design Define R4 over Corsair 550D considering that the latter is $30 more expensive.

I don't live in the USA, however, so prices here are weird. Can anyone help rank the following cases based on the 'bang for the buck' each gives?

Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed $90

Corsair 450D $148

Corsair 550D $117

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) $111

Fractal Design Define R4 (White, Black, Titanium) $118

NZXT Phantom 410 (White & other colors) $100

NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) $111

I guess my considerations are heat control (I won't overclock right away - won't get aftermarket cooler yet either - but the city I live in is hot), ease of assembly (first time builder), and size (smaller better but not hard to assemble). Silence is nice to have but so long as it's not very noticeable / not louder than an AC running in the room, it's not a priority criterion.

Will hold an i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SSC, SSD, HDD, Optical drive among the other necessities.

Thank you!

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

in terms of bang for buck they'd rank like this: Define R4 = Arc Midi R2 (one gets the edge depending on whether you value cooling over silence) > 550D = Phantom 410 = 450D >> 300R.

in general they'd rank almost the same: Arc Midi R2 = Define R4 > 450D (a 300R with taller top and 360 rad support) > 550D = Phantom 410 (550D is the 500R with silent treatment and the P410 has similar internal layout and capabilities, just a bit smaller case) >> 300R (a case that's size, features and rank is at par with the likes of the source 210/220, P240 (has less top clearance than P240) but costs much more than them.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, thanks for this!

Just to make sure, those bang for buck assessments were made with the prices I indicated, and not retail price right? In that case I'll choose Arc Midi R2 first, runner-up choices in case of no stock Phanton 410 then 550D then Define R4. I don't like how Define R4 is $118 here and $75 in pcpartpicker, makes me feel cheated XD same with 450D. 300R I agree feels pretty meh after watching unboxing vids, feels like it's stuck between budget (in which case I'd get source 210 or bitfenix) and not.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

yea I was basing it on the prices you gave, but for the most part that's how they stack up anyway.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube