add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Civ 1-3 and alpha centari.

Memo1010

56 months ago

Im looking for some info on civ 1 civ 2 civ 3 and alpha centari (if you dont know what they are why are you here?). For civ 1 and 2 and AC: Would these run on win XP or are they to old? If not is there something i could get to run it? civ 3: So...i have a older PC i might try to run these games on...and it says it need some sort of 9.0 GPU thing (cant remember what it is). Could this work with a pentium 4 (quad-core 2.66Ghz)s intigrated graphics? Im not sure how good the intigrated graphics are but not very great. If you would know that would be awesome.

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Civ 1 - runs only on DOS or Windows 3.1 (or DOSBox) Civ 2 - runs only on Windwows 95 - XP Civ 3 - runs fine on at least Windows 7 (probably 8 and 10 as well) Alpha Centauri - PROBABLY runs best on XP.

Many of these will also run great in WINE on Linux.

Every single one of these is single-threaded, and will run fine on a Pentium 4 of at least 3ghz, although I would recommend a more recent dual core for best performance. Integrated graphics should be fine for 1, 2 and alpha centauri, but for Civ 3 you might want an older dedicated card or a newer integrated graphics?

[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 2 points

What is DOSBox? http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Main_Page

What is WINE? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29

You should consider using Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Puppy Linux (installed), and maybe ArchBang Linux. 1gb is a VERY low amount of RAM for any modern distro, so even with these distros I would advise you to disable the x server on boot - running directly from the console should be OK. There may be a bit of finagling you have to do to get dosbox to start the x server for its SDL graphics emulation engine; not sure about that. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13886&start=25

Best of luck, those are some of the greatest games ever made. While you're at it, be sure to check out Colonization as well.

[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I would tell you how many hours I've put into the series, but at this point it would be measured in months.

[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I have 1,755 hours on Civ 5....wow, I have no life.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

How do you count that? :-)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube