add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is my PSU enough???

Sufyan
  • 59 months ago

This is my build: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/bXjVXL

I have bought everything on that list except for the graphics card. Im thinking of getting a radeon 280x or 290.

The reason im asking because in many places you see lots of different opinions. When i go to extreme power calculator it says i need 490W but i see countless people saying with radeon r9 290 or 280x you need much more. So I came here to see what you guys think. (This is my first PC build.)

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

That setup should be fine. The reason you see a lot of people recommend 600-750W PSUs for 290s is that many power supplies can't deliver the rated wattage. Your PSU is a very good one though, so you won't have any problems.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks alot, thats what i was thinking.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Extreme psu calculator is pretty accurate I believe so the 550w seasonic should be ok, but if you want to overclock the gpu you might wanna add another 1-200w to it, current gen amd gpus are very power hungry even at stock speeds & power draw goes up when you oc.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

it is enough. I use that same psu (which was my bro's) for a little over a month when I had a 290 Tri-X oc, and my 4770k was at 4.7ghz and I overclocked the 290 to 1175/1400. measured 448 watts at the wall with a kill a watt. factor in efficiency and that's ~399 watts load on the psu. with your locked i5's much lower clocks and voltage you can knock off 30-40 watts easy compared to my setup.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks alot thats what i was thinking since i got a high quality psu.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube