add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is a Z77 mobo worth it if not overclocking?

curtx17
  • 83 months ago

So recently I have been seeing a couple of people criticizing completed builds because they do not intend on overclocking, and bought a Z77 motherboard. My question is why? Why are Z77 motherbords better for overclocking, and even if I dont intend on overclocking should I still invest in a Z77 Mobo. Also do they have other perks over another series of motherboard?

My Cpu is- http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637i53570 My Motherboard is- http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-p8z77vlk

Comments

• 83 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, Z77 is usually more expensive. Their reasoning, and I generally agree, is that The thing that sets Z77 apart from H/B77 is that is has overclocking functionality, so you're paying for a feature set that you can't access. Thus it would be more cost-effective to save that money and put it towards a faster GPU, a bigger SSD, etc. That being said, mobo manufacturers generally focus more on the Z series chipset boards, and they're often laid out more nicely than different chipsets. They also usually have support for more peripherals, i.e. more SATA 6 Gb/s ports, USB 3.0, etc. But, in general, I would still say save the money on the chipset, and put it towards another part of your computer.

There's also a bug in the B/H87 chipsets that allows overclocking :) hehe

• 83 months ago
  • 2 points

Z77 are generally better build and have a couple more things like more USB 3.0 or more SATA Its not a bad decision to go for it if you dont intend to overclock.

• 83 months ago
  • 2 points

This is a complex question but ultimately overclocking focused chipsets focus on the enthuiast user. As such they will also provide the best overall functions and features. In this respect yes even if you do not plan to overclock but want improved quality and features like wireless or bluetooth or improved onboard audio as well as as more complete fan control functionality. All this and more will be targeted at being present on the performance chipsets as opposed to the channel chipsets. Channel chipsets like the B series and H series have a higher level of integration for basic SOHO or SMB or corporate environments where rich connectivity or expansion or higher levels of integration are not as important. Ultimately there is nothing wrong selecting a Z87 motherboard even if you do not overclock. What does not make sense is purchasing a K series CPU if you do not plan to overclock it.

An example would be the 4770K if you do not plan to overclock you should instead purchase the 4770.

Hope this helps.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube