add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Random system freezes :(

sgtSnyder

50 months ago

I've been experiencing complete system freezes lately on my computer. Here is my build for the parts list. The screen freezes and the sound starts playing at an incredibly slow rate. It will usually stay on this frozen screen and never prints an error message. Every now and then it will resume from the freeze like nothing happened. It mainly happens while watching Youtube videos or playing League of Legends. Doesn't seem to be any fixed amount of time before a crash.

I have tried reinstalling Windows, taken out the graphics card and just use intel integrated graphics and no overclock and it still happens. Also tried a different solid state drive (toshiba). If anyone has any help to offer or similar experience it would be greatly appreciated. I think it may be the processor because I was fairly careless when overclocking it since it was a $50 chip. Any thoughts?

FIXED:

It turned out to be my WiFi card. I pulled it out of a Dell computer and I guess it was specific to that motherboard. I couldn't install the drivers off the dell website, but I looked up the controller and was able to install some generic drivers that seemed to work but would actually cause freezing whenever I would do anything that involved a constant network connection.

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

How are your temps doing? I think you're right about it being the CPU - specially since you mention that you were pretty "careless" with it.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Temps top out around 70C running Prime95. When I'm playing League they stay below 60C. And the only reason I'm hesitating on saying it's the CPU is because I would be expecting to get a blue screen

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

If not multitasking during the freezes, Double check cooler installation: VORTEZ

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Pull all the ram out but one stick and test them one at a time.

[comment deleted]
  • 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your advice! I ran memtest86+ and everything checked out just fine. I think it may have been some driver issues with my WiFi card (Atheros DW1525). I started looking into updating all my drivers and a friend at work said he experienced similar issues involving his NIC which then pointed me towards my WiFi card. Threw in a little WNA1100 and disabled my DW1525 and I haven't had a single problem aside from slightly reduced speeds. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Who knows how long it would have taken me to figure that out.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube