add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CM EVO 212 too tall but need serious cooling. What other option?

FlexTraveler

56 months ago

So the EVO 212 doesnt fit, it's too tall to allow me to put the lid on my case (by about 0.5" or so).

I needed to proceed with the built so i put the Intel stock cooler in for my i7-4790K CPU.

I mainly plan to use this machine for Handbrake encoding and Plex Video Transcoding, so the CPU will be at 100% for extended amount of time.

Initial test with handbrake had the CPU up to 93 degree C in seconds and then it dropped and settled at 88 degree C. This appears to be clearly in the red and outside the comfort zone.

Any suggestions for a high capacity cooler that is a bit less tall than the EVO 212?

Also I was shocked how quickly the CPU temp came up, basically the fan did not even have time enough to ramp up. Could this indicate something went wrong with the termal paste? When i put the stock cooler on i didn't add any paste since the stock cooler has it. However I thought i had to turn the knobs on the cooler mounts to lock them in, but instead this releases them. So the cooler popped off at whcih point i looked at the termal paste, it looked very nicely distributed so i put the cooler back on.

Any suggestions great appreciated.

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

The H7, it cools better than the Evo 212 and is smaller.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

That one is about 15mm lower than the EVO 212.

To be on the safe side, any suggestions which are still a tad lower than that?

Would these tower coolers typically allow you to turn the flow so that it goes front to back in the case? It seems so silly that the stock coolers just blow down and then air comes around again to itself.

And a second question. Any solution that would no require me to mount a bracket on the back side? I'm not quite looking forward to taking this motherboard back out.

And the backplate in my case (a 4U server rack case) is flat whereas some tower cases seem to have cutouts where the CPU goes. Should i expect trouble getting that bracket in or should the typical standoff provide sufficient clearance?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu9bse2

iirc this is around 125MM tall. Most coolers should allow you to set it up to flow front to back.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

the H7 (145mm) is a great option... if you want to go lower this are 3 other options

Noctua NH-U9s at 125mm tall

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu9s

Noctua NH-C14S at 142mm tall

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhc14

thermaltake NIC L31 at 140mm tall

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-cpu-cooler-clp001al12rea

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Would these tower coolers typically allow you to turn the flow so that it goes front to back in the case?

Tower coolers are designed/intended to be installed with air flow going from front to back. With that said, since you are using a rackmount, you will need to research to find best orientation of fans and such since the airflow characteristics will differ totally from a typical tower-style case.

...Any solution that would no require me to mount a bracket on the back side?

Any decent cooler will be designed with bolt through fastening system for safety. Not aware of any decent/semi-decent air cooler not using that method.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks all. It's been a few years since my last build.

I don't want to return yet another unit (amazon may start getting upset), so i'm going to play it safe and get the "Noctua NH-U9S" which should fit for sure.

Anybody on my question on whether a gap/indention is needed in the plate below the motherboard for the back bracket or whether a solid plate with typical standoffs?

I measured the standoffs and they are 5 to 6mm. I also measured the back bracket on the EVO 212 which appeared to be the same.

I wonder if some engineer used his head and made them match so that the bracket actually functions as a standoff as well so the motherboard doesn't sag under the weight of these cooling blocks.

Dreading taking the motherboard back out, but i suppose i will. I guess should been patient and stopped the build when the EVO212 didnt fit, order a new cooler and the proceed....patience is not my thing though. :)

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

What about one of the C-Type air coolers?

Noctua NH-C14 or the upcoming NH-C14S.

Phanteks PH-TC14CS.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube