add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do i need a new psu?

jamram
  • 58 months ago

Plan on getting a r9 290 and i have a 750 watt psu and the minimum is 750 for the r9 290 will i need a new one?

Specs: I5 4690k at stock 8gigs of ram cosair h55 1 ssd 1 hhd dvd player and 5 fans

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

the minimum is 750

No it's not? The manufacturer page that states that has to account for almost every power supply so they jack up the number incase you have a crappy power supply that can't output its rated wattage. 600w is fine and so is 550w. (Granted they have to be good power supplies) What's your psu?

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

cx 750m corsair

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh..... that's a pretty bad power supply. Yea okay you're lucky you have the 750w version.

You'll be fine.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Sigh..... What's so bad about it?

• 58 months ago
  • 3 points

It's made cheaply with cheap Chinese capacitors that are rated to 30c. What that means is the capacitors fail if they reach temperature higher than 30 Celsius (roughly 86 F). So if you were to cuddle up with the PSU under a blanket, it would die. And body heat is nothing compared to the heat of a running PC. All that, plus it doesn't even put out its rated wattage. It's very unreliable, but unfortunately it's also very popular.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok ya went and read an article on Johnny gruu and he didn't even recommend it so what do u you recommend to me that's under 100 I'm in Canada BTW

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube