add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is a 500W good enough for this

mikenb
  • 59 months ago

I just bought a computer with an i7 4790 and a gtx 980 in it. should i be concerned about the power supply?

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

that depends entirely on what power suplly you have.

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

That's a bit low. It might work, but saying "500W" could mean a Seasonic tier 1 500W, or a Raidmax tier 5 500W. You also need to specify which 980 you're using, as some models use much more than others. Generally I'd lean on the side of a slightly bigger unit for that setup, though. A good quality 600W-700W unit would be a good idea. The EVGA 650GS would be a nice fit.

• 59 months ago
  • 0 points

Yes. Even a high quality one, that's under powered.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 59 months ago
  • 1 point

indeed. even the fearsome GTX 980 G1 uses less than 220 watts during gaming. it goes crazy if you play furmark because gigabyte forgot that all gpus must throttle in furmark after the GTX480 debacle.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Technically yes, 500w will work and Nvidia recommended a minimum 500w psu for that card, but that's the minimum. Why would you run a $600 card on the minimum requirements? I'm not gonna bother getting into why it's a bad idea even though it SHOULD work. Bottom line is that more is ideal

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

nvidia recommends the coolermaster extreme "500 watt", some huntkey "500 watt" or the corsair cx 500 (first version) at best with these recommedned wattage. let's not even start in on how the recommended wattage varies from manufacturer to manufacturer or even from 980 to 980 from the same manufacturer. evga's own buyer's guide say's there 500B can't run a gtx 770 or 680, but can run a 980 and Titan X (lol) even though the the 980 consumes the same or more power than the gtx 680 and do we even have to check if the Titan X does? that should tell you how valid it is right there. quality over "moar watts" all day.

more watts didn't help these people ;).

• 59 months ago
  • -1 points

Choose tire 1 PSU

http://i.imgur.com/tgrbCnr.jpg

• 59 months ago
  • 0 points

Do you just copy/paste the same answer everywhere?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube