add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MAD NAS IDEA

Karl0508

55 months ago

Hey guys I know what alot of people must think by the title, a big PC with like 100tb well thats not hat makes this mad to me

I have seen some 1TB WD RED 2.5" drives for the right price and i have my Z87i board well what about a case, well after watching this video:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjDJNwAANwA

I saw new inspirations, what about 3x1tb wed red (Raid5) and 1 ssd ghetto mounted in an SG13B ( http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=536 ) a mico server taken that is taken one step further, ok its only 2tb but when wd release a 2tb 2.5 drive its upgrade time

What do we think a yes or no?? a sg13b with 2tb of storage ubuntu server :) i can always ghetto mount other HDD :) please bare in mind i have a G3220 and can use SFX psu

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

That case supports 3.5" drives as well as 2.5", though... could probably save money and MTBF by going to the bigger drive.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah but I can only use one .. and don't I need multiple drives for a nas for raid? Or will only 1 drove be safe?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

As a general rule, any kind of RAID that actually improves performance will be MORE prone to failure than a single drive, while any kind of RAID that slows performance will be LESS prone to data loss than a single drive, while still being more prone to failure. So yes, 1 drive is always less prone to failure, but no, it is not as safe for preventing data loss as say, RAID 1.

All that being said, there's no rule that says you couldn't RAID a 3.5" disk with a 2.5" disk.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Not a raid for performance but a RAID 1 so mirror raid, but if i'm going to go 3.5" i'll go 2tb which they only do 1tb, so the options are really 3 1tb or 1 2/3tb and 1 1tb lol,

As this is only for media do i need to do raid?? is it a necessity? Will it be safe not to run raid?

I can do like a 2tb red and back up to external all my important data

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say that since your uses do not likely require high availability, RAID 1 is not necessary; you can simply do periodic backups of the single disk to external and/or cloud backups.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm food for thought :) do you like the idea of the tiny nas?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Why not this BitFenix case that can apparently hold 9 2.5" drives or 5 3.5" drives?

As for NAS, why focus on 2.5" drives? 3.5" drives will be just as good and without a premium on the price due to the size difference.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't need that much storage, plus that case is huge, like matx size

I wasn't really focusing on them just thought that the tiny little SG13 would make an awesome little nas, and in order to do raid i'd need to use 2.5 to get 3 drive in :) i have 4 sata ports so realistically i don't need all that much storage

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube