add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Fry's deal H97-Plus LGA1150 MB and 4690 CPU $230

josepie

49 months ago

Topic says it all. Sale is $226 or $228 or similar. Its "NOT" a 4690K - no K on the end...

But I figure for my first build and to run some mid to high end games this might be too good to pass up.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

For the actual deal, it should be posted here: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/forum/23-deals/

Looks like you're pretty much getting the motherboard for free (saving ~100$). While it isn't unlocked, it's still a great CPU and should be more than enough for gaming for a while.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Any thoughts on this particular motherboard?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

One of the few H97 boards I've seen with M.2 support (but not the very fast version seen on X99 boards). Asus has good quality boards (usually...).

Unless you were looking at some specific feature that wasn't included, it seems like a good H97 board.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Hardware > CPUs" to "General > Deals".

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Just make sure to use a credit card for the purchase due to the various legal troubles Fry's has had in the past.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I know, right. I tried to get the manager to upgrade to the 4960K but no luck.

So I bought the 4960 combo regardless.

He said as I was buying the MB and CPU that I need to check the pins on the motherboard as there was no return once I leave the store. I had to open in front of the cashier to make sure it was ok. And it was.

I now have the MB, CPU, DVD drive, HD and a new Chasar A71 full case. Just need graphics card and power supply and i should be complete.

Gotta say, this site rocks.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

It may not be worth the bother getting the "K" series anymore. Due to Intel changing from solder to using questionable TIM, not sure it would be a good idea to overclock anymore. Lifespan of some TIM is about five years. Guess when the Intel processor warranty expires.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube