add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I Use a Reinstall Disc to Install on New Build?

mxpx4182
  • 60 months ago

Hi, I have a new, unopened reinstall disc for Windows 7. I was wondering if I could use it to install Windows 7 on my new build. I have everything except the OS as I was trying to find something cheap. The reinstall disc was free and has never been used.

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

...reinstall disc...

Those are classified as OEM, so not transferable.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, that sucks. Well, I'll just buy Windows 7 then. Is there any advantage to getting Windows 7 Professional if I'm planning on upgrading to 10 for free? E.g. will Windows 7 Professional upgrade to something like Windows 10 Professional or will all upgrades get the same version? There's only an $8 price difference between Windows 7 Professional and Home editions.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have signed up for free as a preview tester for Win10, PC World has reported that tester will get Windows 10 RTM version for FREE.

As to your question of Professional version, Microsoft will likely keep upgrades the same way. Win7 Professional version upgraded/converted to Win10 Professional.

With the above said, personally, I'll be sticking with Windows 7 until details of Windows 10 licenses/costs are finalized and put in writing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube