add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Stock Cooler for the AMD FX-8350

PinderedniP

56 months ago

I built my PC last July and it has the AMD FX-8350 as it's CPU. It's my first build so I stuck with the stock cooler to keep it simple for my first time. However I just got a 970 (upgraded from a 660) and my PC has gotten super loud. I originally thought that it was my GPU but when I turned the GPU fans off and had the side panel of my case off I noticed that the sound was coming from my CPU fan. I carefully cleaned it with a few Q-Tips (unplugged it from the motherboard) and it's a bit quieter but not as quiet as I want it to be.

Could my CPU be working harder because I'm using a 970 to push my PC to use higher graphic settings in games? That would explain why the fan seems to be moving faster and louder. Should I take off the stock cooler and clean it or get a different cooler?

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

What were your temps before the GPU change? What are you CPU temps now?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Max CPU temp was about 46 and now it's 52.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

clean your cooler and see where that gets you. You're in no immediate danger.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I tried that. It's still somewhat loud but not as bad as before. I think I'll just get an aftermarket cooler soon. Thanks!

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

The GPU is adding a lot of heat to your case that wasn't there before. The ambient temperature in the case around the CPU is going to be higher than it was before you added the GPU, so the cooler is going to have to work harder.

Spend $30 and get a better cooler, if you can.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I think I might do that. A quieter and more efficient CPU fan sounds like a good idea.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube