add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with cooling! Don't know what I should get?

Mikefey

56 months ago

My build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $255.00
Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Purchased For $110.00
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory Purchased For $57.00
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $98.00
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $40.00
Case NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $70.00
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $62.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro OEM (64-bit) Purchased For $25.00
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter Purchased For $39.00
Case Fan Cooler Master R4-S2S-124K-GP 44.7 CFM 120mm Fans Purchased For $16.00
Keyboard Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard Purchased For $105.00
Mouse Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse Purchased For $65.00
Headphones Logitech G430 7.1 Channel Headset Purchased For $40.00
Other Samsung 2233SW Monitor (x2) Purchased For $0.00
Other EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 Purchased For $335.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1317.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-31 03:30 EDT-0400

I am leaning towards these options:

This is my first computer and I would like the components to last, so a good cooler is very important. I would like near silence, if not silence. I want to overclock as high as I can to squeeze some juice out for streaming this summer.

So, my question is: what do you suggest, and why? Is the Kraken worth the extra money ($90)? Please leave a link to any other coolers you suggest.

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

As already recommended by Radox, a Cryorig H7 is a good choice, and if you want something a bit more powerful (or want to run the fans at lower RPMs so that it can be more quiet at the same performance level), a Phanteks PH-TC12DX air cooler is a good choice. It also has one of the simplest installation methods of all large air coolers.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

That phanteks looks sexy AF, does it come in black?... But it seems like it may have ram clearance issues with my large heatspreaders.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

The PH-TC12DX is fairly slim, and won't have issues with RAM clearance on your motherboard, looking at builds that use both. Plus, I just realized that you're using the Krait edition board, and the Phanteks cooler has a black and white version that would look fantastic with it.

Here's the link: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/phanteks-cpu-cooler-phtc12dxbk

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I went to phanteks site and they say that it doesn't even hang over the socket. Those diagrams are nice, awesome company.

Anyway, I was looking at the PH-TC14PE:

http://phanteks.com/PH-TC14PE.html

Last fan might run into my ram, but the fan is able to adjust up and down for that reason. It looks sexy as hell. Plus it's less than 20 dB. And a 5 year warranty doesn't hurt ;)

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

PH-TC14PE is 10 mm too big for my case...of course I'd not see that until after I order from Newegg. Currently trying to get them to cancel my order. I'm gonna order the tc12dx as that seems to be capable.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

That psu isn't good.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

It's fine, it just louder than everything else. Still quiet, just louder than my case fans.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't realize you already brought it but it honestly isn't a good psu, it has some issues.

group regulated (voltage regulation sucks), a cheap, cost saving design you usually see on sub 650 watt psus (because it isn't even safe on psus with higher wattage/amps than ~500/40A). this psu doesn't perform in spec anywhere close to it's rated capacity and with the design if you have a low load on the minor rails the +12v will drop out of spec to compensate

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I've had no issues with it "just dropping". It may be cheap or use cost saving measures, but it still does what it supposed to do, supply power to my parts without failing. I'm happy with it in that regard.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

updated the topic. Trying to decide between Kraken X61 and PH-TC12DX for my cooler. also ive decided i DO want to overclock (so i can stream better).

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

The cryorig definitely looks great and is looking like a great option. I know it will fit, so if nothing better shows up, I'll probably get that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube