add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Would I be able to "upgrade" a newly built PC to Windows 10?

ix97-Charon
  • 60 months ago

If I were to get the windows 10 free upgrade from my laptop and put it on a USB or disc for later, would I be able to put it on a newly built PC, while keeping my laptop on Windows 7? I keep looking everywhere for an answer to this, but I can't seem to find anything on it.

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

No, you won't be able to do that.
The way the windows 10 upgrade works, is that it permanently upgrades an existing windows 7/8 license to 10 and provides you with the setup files. Chances are, your laptop's windows key is "OEM" and is permanently linked to that computer's hardware so the license key will not work on the new computer.

You'll be able to create a restore disc for windows 10, but if you tried to use the restore disc to install 10 on the new desktop, it will work until it asks you to activate the license. It will then reject it.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info! Looks like I'll be getting a new copy of windows 7 anyways. Ah well.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

It won't be an ISO file, which is what you'll need, it will most likely be simple an upgrade, that said,no, that -most likely- will not work

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

No you can't.

• 60 months ago
  • 0 points

No.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube