add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will 850w be enough?

zapper799
  • 58 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/zapper799/saved/TLjCmG

So this is my current build in progress I have 3 more pieces to order. The graphics card is not included in the list. The graphics card I plan on ordering is the Gtx 980 ti gaming from msi. Now the question is, Will the 850w power supply on the list be enough to power this. I don't plan on overclocking right away, turbo will be activated and memory clock and mhz on the gfx from the get go however I may overclock in the future and I may or may not sli with the new dx12 memory stacking. I'm just looking for advice and opinions. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

Unless your 980ti somehow pulls 400w, you should be fine.

SLI might be pushing it... Have to wait till someone does a proper power usage test to see what they'll pull. OC should be fine, unless you're doing something silly/dangerous, like 5v VCore...

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

That psu is likely overkill for a single 980ti, but not a bad idea if you eventually oc or do sli, though for that it may be alot closer to the limit. I'd think it can do it though. 850w seems safe based only on the listed specs while waiting for real world power figures to come out.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the information, sorry about the late reply work and what not.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I figured I was, I just wanted to get another opinion on it, I thought sli might push it a bit as well, Thanks for the fast reply it really helps.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure. Also, when you want to reply to someone, hit the "Reply" button under their post. That way they get a notification.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to put it to good use haha.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

the psu would be fine and fine for 980ti SLI in this build. nothing to worry about. you could get a couple of better one for cheaper though. and if you really want big headroom you can get a better 1050 watt for the price of the HX850i.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I was planning on getting a custom loop with that same GPU and CPU with OC on the same wattage and it should hold out. So yes, that PSU is fine for your build.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube