add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cpu cooler for I5

Asskicker2014

56 months ago

What is the best aftermarket cpu cooler for the i5-4690k (to overclock it of course) the h100i looks a littlebit overkill

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

The short course:

Coolers come in 3 flavours, Air, AIO and Custom Water.

Air is, by far, the simplest and most cost efficient of the 3. Size matters. The bigger the cooler, the more heat it can dissipate. The bigger the fan, the more air it can move and the slower and quieter it can be. For the most part, once you get to a certain point in heat dissipation, the more you spend is spent on looks, build quality and reputation. It's very easy to get a good looking unit that will last you the lifetime of the computer for cheap.

AIO water coolers are the prepackaged water cooling option. They are efficient but have the same problems that every water cooled system has, which is leaks. Also, most units have an approx. lifetime of about 5 years. By then either there are signs of cracking, pump noise indicating upcoming failure and rad issues. It's also more expensive than air. Matching rad size and heat dissipation is critical to the health of your cpu.

Custom Water. Everything that applies to the AIO times 1,000. It's complicated, very expensive, prone to failure and yet, a properly set up system looks like nothing else on the planet. There's a reason almost all really cool customs systems use custom water cooling.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I strongly recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler. It is compatible with your socket. I have it and it is whisper silent and its very cheap. I get about 50 degrees celsius with the AMD FX 8320 and this cooler when I'm stress testing. On idle I get just under 30 degrees celsius. Best bang for your buck cooler right now. I strongly suggest you pick it up. Right now on Newegg.com it costs $34.99.

[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty much.

Although at 30-35$ I would recommend the Cryorig H7 over the 212 EVO.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

The 212 is still an excellent choice and you can't really go wrong with it. But yes, you're right.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube