add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Project PC: Case Suggentions?

lilshatespug217

54 months ago

I am going to try to convert my pc into a briefcase luggable with integrated monitor. Cool, right?

Anyway, I need a case in teh same kind of style as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Customizable-Medium-Impact-Absorption/dp/B00NCALHKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433371889&sr=8-1&keywords=travel+equipment+hard+case

But deeper, as my gfx card alone is 4.5in tall. I need something like the case I showed that has the folding lid (the shallower half of the case) with at least 2 to 2 1/2 in and the bigger half with at least 6in. Keep in mind: the entire project of turning my computer into this thing, which includes the price of a new itx mobo (and windows license), monitor, mouse, fans, keyboard and ups (so the rig only takes cable from the wall for the monitor and pc) is $500-$650 AT ABSOLUTE MOST, so no crazy $200 luggage bags.

I want it to be at least 12in tall and 18 in wide

Can anyone help?

P.S.: I may record the build and put it on youtube. Lemme know if you'd be interested in seeing that.

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Depending on if you have a monitor already, you may be interested in a USB-based monitor such as this: http://www.amazon.com/AOC-E1649FWU-USB-Powered-Portable-Monitor/dp/B005SEZR0G

That eliminates the UPS and allows you to use just a single wall connection.

From the sounds of it, you want to mimic something like this case, but without the I/O panel being shown and having the monitor inside... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517035

And I'm sure I've heard of some other people doing just this thing... Somewhere...

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

ahem I may or may not stolen the idea from the snakebox 2013 ahem

Can I connect my 970 to it?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm... That monitor uses USB... Did not put that together when I was looking at it. It seems everyone is using it with a laptop...

Though...

There is a way to port Displayport (and others) to USB for such a monitor, using something like this connection: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-External-Adapter-USB32DPPRO/dp/B008CXFM64
Then using that with the monitor should work. Of course, this is now a good chunk of your budget...

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

All I need now is a case. Other than that, here's my plan:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $0.00
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $7.52 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock H81M-ITX/WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $62.99 @ Amazon
Video Card PNY GeForce GTX 970 4GB XLR8 Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) $99.97 @ Amazon
Monitor Hannspree HL161ABB 15.6" Monitor $65.99 @ SuperBiiz
Keyboard Logitech K360 Wireless Mini Keyboard $19.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech M325 Wireless Optical Mouse $16.28 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech M325 Wireless Optical Mouse $16.28 @ Amazon
Headphones Logitech G930 7.1 Channel Headset $97.75 @ Amazon
Other UPS (Select amazon merchant) $50.00
Other Mini-displayport to VGA Adapter $15.00
Other VGA Cable $15.00
Other Ethernet Port Extention Cable $10.00
Other USB Extention Cable $7.00
Other 7200rpm 1tb 3.5in HDD Purchased For $0.00
Other 8gb Generic DDR3 Ram from Dell PC Purchased For $0.00
Other Generic Optical Drive from Dell Purchased For $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $483.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-03 19:41 EDT-0400
  • 54 months ago
  • 2 points

You might not need that Mini-DP to VGA adapter, unless the one included (DVI to VGA) with the GPU got lost or if it sticks out too much.

You may want a better thermal paste, such as this Noctua model. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-thermal-paste-nth1

Any reason for two mice?

I'll keep an eye out for a case... Doubt I'll ever be able to find something, but you never know.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Two mice? What? (Fail)

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

That thermal paste isn't good, its conductive, it has a curing time of 200 hours and is out done by other pastes of similar price.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

K... two people warned me about that paste, time to get something else.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube