add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Pentium G3258

bass_treble

55 months ago

I've been hearing a LOT about the Pentium, saying that it can overclock, and it being a great budget cpu. But how does it do overall for gaming? Could someone who uses the G3258 tell me some of the benchmarks they get? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

It can overclock good depending on your luck, you might get on that can't get past 3.9ghz and if you are very lucky you might get one that can hit 5gh zand it can't play games that require 4 cores and struggles during multitasking.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I built a computer for a buddy of mine using that CPU and a gtx 760. Its pretty good if you want to go on the budget friendly side. Personally i think that CPU is more geared for the CSGO, LOL, Starcraft and some other not really demanding games but good games.

This CPU is really meant to be bought with a H81 motherboard and overclocked to around 4.2-4.5 ghz and a decent gpu like a gtx 750ti-r9-270x. This CPU can not stream or do any other tasks in the background if you are also gaming.

Its really a tough buy to be honest because the FX-6300 isnt really that much more and could possibly be a better CPU for some games. Though if you are looking to play CSGO the g3258 is more then enough.

I guess its not that easy of a question to answer.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the main advantage of the G3258 is that as long as pick the right other components you will be ready to upgrade in the future.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a good CPU when paired with a good/great GPU and OC'd. http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6526/intel-pentium-g3258-haswell-20th-anniversary-cpu-gaming-performance/index11.html

Main issue is that, as everyone seems to have said, it's only a dual-core, which means no multi-tasking and modern games that require quad-core/4-thread CPUs won't work out of the box (though, there's usually a mod to get around that).

And of course, it allows you to later on upgrade to a proper quad-core i5 or a 4-core/8-thread i7/Xeon. Depending on your budget, you may want to spend the ~100~150$ in savings from starting with an i5 for a better GPU.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

It can oc well, but it's not good for gaming.

• 55 months ago
  • -1 points

I think 4.4GHz is slightly a bit over the bar on stock for the G3258. I will say 3.5GHz-3.7GHz is a suitable clock.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I got 4Ghz on stock coooler. Getting about 75C under the load

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice and cool * add sarcasm*

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

75C is under load with prime95. Also I don't game. It's just a home PC, so it idles at 45C.

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 2 points

I agree with this, but I'd like to add that the Athlon doesn't have a great upgrade path, so that's something to keep in mind.

• 54 months ago
  • -1 points

Why do people keep saying that the g3258 will struggle with games and skype on the background ? I own a E8400 core2duo from 2008 and I can play gta v with skype in the background juts fine at 30 fps with no dips, people really need to stop talking out of their ***. Can a G3258 run teamspeak / skype or other applications while playing a game ? Yes it can. Can it encode videos, do editing etc while playing a game ? No it can't, stop talking out of your ***.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube