add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Absolutelynate
  • 58 months ago

Is it safe? I bought a 625w model for $35 abd have used it for over a year, no problems. I've been doing research on tiers of PSUs and I don't know which one Sentey falls under, but for $35 it might be a lower tier. If it is, should I be worried?

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

of course you should be worried. you think working for a year without "problems" is a good sign? I had a crap TR2 that last 3 years with the pc literally on 24/7 (though lots of dead usb ports and burnt peripheral cables I later learned were damaged from nasty electrical noise, high ripple) for all but a single month of that time and it ended in sparks and fire. I have a imicro "400 watt" that's complete crap and arcs every other time I use it. it cost $15 and it's been almost three years since my brother bought it. do not pretend this makes them good. you could have already broken your hard drives and motherboard by now and will only realize it when you try and disconnect/reconnect them, or they outright fail catastrophically "out of the blue" one day. that sentey has poor efficiency and is peak rated. you own a poor 480 watt psu, but luckily for many people the system they run is something that most likely needs 350 watts to operate with a cushion. as for tiers, it's tier 5.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, so what would you recommend as a replacement? I need a minimum of 600w.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

apparently you don't. if you needed anywhere near 600 for real, much less as a minimum, you'd have been the victim of a pc or house fire by now. going with what you've been getting by on for the last year, you would be fine with something like the Seasonic G 450 watt. if you just feel you need something that say's 600 or more on the label you already have one XD.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I'm running a GTX 770 and I have specifically stated before that my PSU is marked as a 625 watt model. So I do indeed need 600 watts of power. All I'm asking for is a suggestion for a decent PSU at 550-600w.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

again, your psu is a 480 watt for real as is written on the label. I can name no less than 10 500 watt power supplies that provide more power than the "625" watt you have. your situation is exactly why nvidia recommends a 600 watt, because companies lie about the psu specs and unsuspecting customers buy their junk. what you need and what you think you need are two different things. in any case, XFX TS 550/650 would do you fine. those are the cheapest really good psus you can get in the wattage range you want.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for a recommendation.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

You've already had the PSU for a year? Honestly, if it has good reviews and you've already had good experience with it, I wouldn't worry about it. Some will disagree with me on that, though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube