add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Eschaton
  • 60 months ago

Has anyone else tried openSUSE? I tried it just recently. It's frustrating, because in some ways it is a slower OS than most of the other Linuxes I've used, but on the other hand it seems to be much better at integrating an actual working GUI for every configurable part of the system. It also uses GNOME 3 as the default DE, which is nice.

Anyone have tips on speeding up openSUSE? Should I just install openbox instead of GNOME 3?

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

openSUSE may be of interest to some due to BTRFS support, with that said, their reputation for installer is worse than RHEL/CentOS/Fedora. May be the reason for not as many testing out that distro.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting. At least from my recent experience, the installer's reputation is unwarranted. It's about as difficult as a Debian install.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the partitioning process automated like Ubuntu or requires manual partition setup?

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't remember, haha. Can't have been that hard.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I just realized another reason that distro does not get tested as often, at 4.4GB, openSUSE's ISO is 4x the size of many light (Linux LiteOS, LXLE, Lubuntu...) distros.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not quite that large, is it? My .iso file comes out to 896.7mb. I think you may have downloaded the ISO that they ship which comes with almost all of their important repositories fully preinstalled.... so, a LOT of software.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

The original topic string is getting rather long so...

Anyways, decided to give Linux Mint 17.1 Mate a whirl.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Everyone seems to like Mint; I wasn't one of those people. It's weird, I just could not get it to be stable or fast. I'm still figuring out openSUSE, and my standby is Xubuntu, but the next thing for me to try out, I think, will be stock Debian with an xfce DE.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm thinking of dumping use of distro with XFCE since there is a known bug where the bleepin' desktop icons keeps changing positions on just about every reboot. Some have succeeded in locking down the icons by writing scripts but that does not appear to be a guaranteed method. I encountered it with the recent Linux Lite distro, hence testing Mint.

My previous tests of Linux Mint 13.x was a total failure as well but now that I think back on it, it may have been due to dual display attempt with a monitor and a tv? No glitches in the last 20 minutes of testing with 17.1 Mate but it does appear a tad slower than Linux Lite. :)

I was really rooting for the last CentOS release to be more desktop/workstation friendly due to the really long support time but plenty of negative feedbacks.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

weird... haven't got that XFCE bug yet. Worst bug in Linux I've ever encountered was in the 12 series of Ubuntu-based distros, where windows would lose focus if other windows were automatically created by the system, but the window manager or DE or something would not raise the window, so it would get stuck under other windows and you would be basically locked out of your desktop. A major bummer; I almost gave up on linux when that hit me. Really glad I didn't!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube