add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Recommend a Joystick

ewhac

56 months ago

The other day, Newegg had the Saitek X52 on ShellShocker sale for $100 (normally between $100-150). I didn't bite, but it did make me wonder about what's considered a quality joystick these days.

Once I get through enough of my current crop of unfinished games, the intended use would be mostly for space sims (notably, "Elite: Dangerous", Kerbal Space Program (assuming they fix the joystick support), and any of the Star Wars X-Wing/TIE Fighter games GOG has floating around now). I have an older Saitek Cyborg-3D joystick, but I was never really thrilled with it. Since Saitek was acquired by MadCatz some time back, I'm less inclined toward their wares these days. I hear Thrustmaster is still putting out decent stuff...

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a Logitech extreme 3D pro that I use for all of my super high speed sim games like MFS:X, Warthunder, Vector thrust, KSP, IL-2, and the likes and it has really gone above and beyond. Just make sure your getting the 3D pro version instead of the regular one. You can find it pretty much anyone for between 20-30 bucks, there pretty awesome and will last forever. I've had mine for years and it has never failed me.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I own an X52 and love it for IL-2, FSX, and Star Citizen. I also owned a Saitek F.L.Y. 5, but it was not that great and broke easily (Saitek's lower-end stuff is now made by madcatz, which is notorious for bad build quality). The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro was my first joystick, and it was decent for some basic flight sims (FS2004 was the first flight sim I played on it), but is very stiff and not particularly satifying to use, and it has a relatively low maximum tilt, so the control is less granular. It also doesn't have the best button placement.Overall, it's good though. It lasted me around 5 years and might still be working (I sold it). It's decent for the price, and I wouldn't recommend spending anymore unless you're willing to go the extra mile and buy an X52, X55, or Thrustmaster Warthog.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube