add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Why do people still buy corsair coolers??!

jacobs4525

56 months ago

On this forum, nearly every time someone says they are looking at an AIO, they'll say that they're looking at the H100i GTX or H110i GT or H100i or whatever, and tons of completed builds pop up each day with these coolers. Now, from an objective point of view they are inferior in every way to competing coolers (they are of lower quality, have high failure rates, are loud, and have performance that is mediocre at best). There was a time when they were the best available, but that is no longer the case. So why do people use them?

If you are someone who is new to this area and are considering one, please enlighten me because I'm genuinely interested in why people like them. Corsair's marketing doesn't seem to be any more aggressive than that of a competing brand, and plenty of other brands with the same brand-recognition and image of quality, such as NZXT and Cooler Master, sell better AIOs for the same price, so it doesn't seem like it's brand name alone that causes people to buy these units. So if you have an explanation, please leave it in the comments below.

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

so it doesn't seem like it's brand name alone that causes people to buy these units.

that's exactly what it is.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

exactly... example: I always had the perception Corsair was far superior than cooler master (they made a name!!)even though now everything has change. I think this has happen with many other things... ppl still pick arctic silver TIM...

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

yep. it's like once a brand gets popular in the DIY space people will flock to it forever for no reason at all.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

remember people resist change...

[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 2 points

Yup. Same reason they buy corsair ram and corsair power supplies. They are known well for thier reputation over the years and are a go to brand.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Why though? NZXT and Cooler Master are both just widely known as Corsair, and you'd think people would at least consider them, but instead people just run straight for the Corsair ones.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

corsair was founded in 1994 while NZXT in 2004. Also corsair products being more expensive will make people think they are better than other brands like cooler master (which is older than corsair)even if that is not the case. Expensive is better (even if it isn't..).

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

they never reached the same height of popularity for selling high quality products. tbh, coolermaster is very mediocre in most things they do and not an innovator (though they are one of the only innovators in the clc market). nzxt has been leading in terms of chassis interior features and innovation since 2011, but they had rapidly become known for poor build quality, something they rapidly improved with the H440 and beyond. corsair started in the case, psu and cooling market with very high end, innovative (800D started this rubber grommet thing) products and put awesome customer support behind it. when they got bought by some financial firm a few years ago, we got low build quality case after low build quality case, psus to replace the GS and TX series (CSM, RM) that are literally worse than both respectively and about $10-$15 more expensive at every wattage. they are now capitalizing on the good name they earned and are ruining by producing cheap and selling high, expanding fast and people still fall over for most of their products. funny, the stuff they kill at like usb 3.0 flash drives nobody buys. their crappy and overpriced $20 AF fan that's their stock case fan with a colored ring people can't buy enough. the clc craze is largely leveling out, but they do make for solid and versatile coolers. to be fair, everything except deepcool, raijintek (which is mixing copper and aluminum in the flow path) and coolermaster's nepton units are all the same asetek or coolIT units. the H110 is the same as the kraken X60, seidon 240, H100 original, thermaltek 2.0 and corsair generally offers better product support.

edit: and CM did have a pretty rabid following with the HAF line of cases, things I never cared for personally. the name really fools people into believing they are the best for airflow and better than other cases for airflow. it's just a name lol.

edit 2: I should say "coolermaster hasn't been an innovator since half a decade ago mostly".

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

and corsair generally offers better product support.

Agree!!!. their warranty and support is A++++

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

yea, at least they still do this right.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed about cooler master, I do sorta see how they seem mediocre. They always seemed like that brand to me, who makes decent stuff but nothing worth really paying attention to. Funny, because now they are making so many innovative new products these days, like their new modular cases, or the kinetic cooler they showed off at CES.

It still surprises me that people on PCPP still use and recommend them, as usually this community leans away from fanboyism. Of course, the r/buildaPC and r/PCmasterrace still have people recommending the CX series and Corsair coolers, so I guess we're better than most.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

yea, CM tries some new things. I like the N200/N600 cases, they just need to revise them a bit. I'm not sold on that "master case". still limited to 240/280 rad on top, the modular bits look like exterior add ons that don't actually affect the size and fitment of the case. they do build them sturdy though. we'll see how the new case does when it launches. those new coolers look great.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

****, I was told Corsair was "Teh gratest" and "Caint bee beeten". Didn't help that no one commented on my Part List Opinions Wanted threads before I purchased. Anyways, like the others said: Misinformation.

Corsair is a ****** company that sells overpriced products as far as I'm concerned. I could have bought a better PSU, a case that didn't come to me broken (And cost me over a hundred dollars in travel expenses to get it looked at because no one online could figure out why having a case in the mix would screw everything up) and a noisy CPU Cooler. Oh yea, as well as overpriced RAM and SSDs that perform like **** compared to competitors.

Their cases look nice and are seemingly well-built (See my issue above) and their peripherals are often regarded as quite good but beyond that they're nothing to me and I won't buy Corsair again if I can help it. But back on track, especially not their Coolers. Sitting here at roughly 33C and it's humming away. Imagine it when I start playing GTA5. Have to wear headphones even while couch gaming because it's so damn noisy.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

One thing I see is youtubers like Linus are constantly promoting and building with the Corsair products.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

PBF has a great reason however I offer a slight alternative reason.

It has higher and more ratings on this website then any other AIO's.... It's just like Kingston's v300 series. People select them because they are very highly rated.

so it doesn't seem like it's brand name alone that causes people to buy these units

Passive marketing is a thing remember that! Also it's not I agree. Branding is definitely a reason but not the whole picture!

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Lack of information. They don't know it's a bad cooler and won't until they have something to reference it by. Same with them using Corsair CX series PSUs or anything else that's looked upon as poor quality but is still used. If it does fail, they'll think they're one of the few unlucky ones who had it happen.

Just for example: I have an uncle who still insists that ram is what makes a computer faster, regardless of how I tell him it's the specifics of the CPU and the programs he's running. He thinks he knows what's right because it "fits" with what he's thinking: recent computers have more ram -> adding more ram to my old one makes it more like the new ones -> it's like a new computer now!

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed about the ratings. It always annoys me when someone builds a PC, sees that it turns on, and then rates every part 5 stars simply because it worked. The CX PSUs have lots of good ratings because of this, and because a lot of people who use them either have never built a PC before, and have nothing to compare it to, or just simply don't know much about PSUs and aren't qualified to write a review. Same deal with the AIOs. Most people who write these reviews, both here and on retail sites like Newegg, have probably never used another AIO, so they have no point of reference, and also probably JUST finished their system, so they can't say anything worthwhile about quality or longevity.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

JonnyGuru has rated them decently in their testing, but that didn't really show longevity of the product, which is the Achilles heel of the CX (M) series PSUs.

I do agree that many reviews out there are from those who just plug it in, and looks as if it works as advertised, it's full stars/eggs. They help as much as fanboys getting involved and either boosting max ratings or boosting worst ratings (dependent on the camp they are in on a particular product)... that is to say, they don't really help.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Read his CX750M review. The CX850 which he reviewed recently is a different platform, and isn't as awful. The main flaw he found with the 750M was that it could only deliver around 650W above 30c.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

It was within given specs. 30c is a spec, albeit too low for enthusiast class builds. The platform wasn't designed for enthusiasts, but for your average office or web browsing (aka light duty) PC. His overall rating on that 750M wasn't horrendous, but it wasn't close to stellar either.

Just jumping on brand and its reputation isn't a good idea for anybody for any product. I'd almost wager that there were many a CX(M) unit used in rigs that they had no business in when they failed... I say almost because I don't have a breakdown of usage of failed units and I could be wrong.

Remember there are many who don't kook further than the advertized power rating and brand name, ot paying attention to full specs or their meanings. Its one reason so many tier 4 and 5 PSUs still get made in addition to OEMs that only care about their bottom line/profit margins.

The market is littered with what was good names, now producing less than their reputation: Sony used to be high-end, now average; RCA and Westinghouse used to be good names, but now seem to only produce and sell sub-par products (The original companies long disappeared, names bought by those wanting that brand recognition and previous reputation, but not caring to deliver what they once stood for.)

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

To be fair, the CX series PSUs usually test with decently in-spec power, line noise, and regulation (or pretty darn close), but are shown weaker for their choice of cheap caps. It is what got them their Tier 3 rating on the series. However as many have found out, they do tend to become dead, especially right around (as in just after) warranty expiration. It's that fact that kills the CX(M) series PSUs reputation among those who actually research.

(looked at various JonnyGuru PSU reviews on the CX series)

As to the RAM situation, I'll tend to agree and disagree with both you and your uncle. Here's what I mean: more RAM will help speed things up... IF you are using all your current RAM and Windows is making heavy use of the page file/Virtual RAM. It will help in that case, but if you're just surfing the net, 8GB RAM is overkill and won't offer a single speed/performance boost for something that the bare recommended RAM requirement of the OS will handle without issue.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

If you go to any retail site or a store like bestbuy, they all sell corsair and it's very much promoted on thier sites and shelves. Other brands not so much. Name recognition man. That's how they do it. Plus they have had some exceptional products over the years. Hell, just a couple years ago only one nzxt and one cooler Master aio were able to match the h100 from the inventory on newegg. There's more now obviously and they have newer brands too, but it was THE cooler 2 years ago since the mighty kraken didn't fit many cases and cost alot more, and the nepton 240 was ungodly expensive and relatively unknown at the time. 2 years later they refreshed the model line to lower quality stuff and there's much more competition, but the name reigns supreme still. Last time I went to bestbuy, they had an h80i and an h100i, no other models on the shelf even though they have many others on thier website, which gives many the impression that those are the best which is why they are in Stock.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

the same reason why people buy razer products

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

corsair coolers several reviews in several sites will told the answer for your question.

• 41 months ago
  • 0 points

im making a very hard choice between a nepton 240m and the h100i v2. a employe at NCIX said cooler master is not really know for there aio coolers and recommended corsair. i don't think he had ever owned a cooler master aio cooler but he had owned a corsair one. what do you guys think?

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

Please... don't necro post

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

14 months ago

Make a new thread since this is dead.

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

14 months ago

Anyways, he's probably biased towards Corsair.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 56 months ago
  • -2 points

The trick is in getting you addicted.. Once the addiction sets in, you need to be "NEO" to be able to beat THE MATRIX..

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube