add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Banshebot

56 months ago

So I don't usually play pre release games anymore but my friend just gifted me a copy of ARK survival. Anybody here played it? All I know is that it has dinosaurs. All feedback appreciated because I don't want to go through the hassle of downloading another 20gb pile of crap when I'm getting 1mbps download at my current home.

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

It's amazing.

Alpha 'Early Access' idea so yeah, it could do with a good bit more optimising but to be honest it plays faultlessly on my machine with default video settings at either High/Ultra 1080.

It's really quick to learn compared to DayZ etc, crafting is excellent and fairly straight forward. Easy to learn, difficult to master I guess. Me and a buddy of mine spent yesterday building a small base and had so many crazy moments due to 1) the unpredictability of players and 2) dinosaurs!

It's a survival game where you have to find food, make shelter, clothes, weapons, group up with people, kill people, kill dinosaurs, tame dinosaurs. Survive. Awesome fun so far but just bearing in mind you're playing a game quite likely over 1 year away from being ready for a general release.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

It is definitely early access and not optimized all that well. That being said, the game is an absolute blast and the devs are stupidly active with patches unlike well... every other survival game.

The game is a LOT more fun and easy with friends so I would suggest getting a small group together. Then you can all hop on raptors and hunt people.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I recently got the game even though I don't have a gaming pc yet. While having a good graphics card would be ideal, I am able to run the game on its lowest setting using my laptops i7-4900MQ integrated graphics. Even with not so great graphics, I would have to say that I am falling in love with this game and cant wait until I have a better computer to play it on.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

This game looks awesome but I think I am going to wait until its out of early access.

[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup, I have plenty to hold me until then.

This year is busy enough

[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

1 hour is not a long time to judge a game.

Take Chivalry for instance, I hate the game but I still play it a lot.

[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Having played it for a few hours solo a tip to people thinking about getting it. As Mani said yes its horribly optimized at the minute but they seem to improve it everyday. Also playing alone is painstakingly boring so make sure you at least group up with a friend. Even at its current state though I'd give it a 6/10. They have a lot more content coming to and that will only improve my score.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube