add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

380X new value king

Eschaton

54 months ago

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-300-series-pricing-confirmed-aggressive/

You take that R9 380X and extrapolate a price sub $250 w/ 3gb RAM, you're gonna have a monstrous 1080p-level card on your hands!

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

I feel like it'll be closer to $275-$285. Even so, I think that's a really fair price. Guess we'll find out!

Also, someone on this thread went crazy with the downvotes, so I handed out some upvotes. =) You're welcome.

EDIT

And when I say "handed out," I didn't mean to imply that you and mrluckypants didn't deserve to be upvoted!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Haters gonna hate. Don't feel obligated to right their wrongs; they shouldn't have the pleasure of putting you through the trouble.

If the price is $275 for the 3gb model then it will be too high; we'll have to wait for bargains.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

In your opinion, what's the highest it could be without being too expensive?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

About 260, depending on how performance actually turns out.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

I'll wait to see it in action before making any statements.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Eh, nothing really news. Want good performance to dollar? AMD cards have always been a fantastic option - I'm more impressed by 390x for sub-$400, especially if it's the single-gpu flagship we're being led to believe.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I am disappointed there because it won't be a new chip. Would really have liked it to be at least 1.2.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

WOW I'm so excited for what?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

An improved value card in the next generation?

• 54 months ago
  • -1 points

if it is true it will be competitive vs nvidia counterparts but not much improvement over current 200 series, as far as r9 380x goes currently you can find r9 290s in the 250$ range and i dont think 380x will match that, now it is down to fiji to make this a successful or a fail series.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

You need to read the article - I'm singling out the 380X because it's going to be SIGNIFICANTLY different from the old 280X...

• 54 months ago
  • -2 points

so lets say it performs same as 290, it will have 3gb vram (unless there is a 6gb version in that price range) , still the 290 wins, am i wrong?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

You are wrong - again, because you DID NOT READ. Do your homework, and you will look less foolish.

The big deal here is that the 380X will be using the fully unlocked version of the chip that came on the 285, which is AMD's most advanced chip, with GCN 1.2 technology. This makes the chip more advanced than the 290's chip - it will support more DirectX 12 functionality while likely coming in somewhere between the 285 and the 280X in terms of TDP, which helps users fit it into lower-powered (cheaper) builds, as well as hotter builds. It's probably going to be the absolute sweet spot of price+performance+futureproof-ness that will define this generation of cards.

I really, really wish you would use that education I helped pay for.

• 54 months ago
  • 0 points

instead of bashing about other peoples education I highly suggest that you try to other peoples points of view, personally knew about tonga XT, advanced doesn't always means it perform better in games and highly doubt it will perform better than hawai more or less similar , is it more advanced in terms of performance per watt? yes , have some other stuff that hawai does not? yes, will it support dx12 more? probably, but if it comes in a 3gb i have to say 290 wins in my opinion, i take the extra 1gb over 100 less tdp and improvded encoding thingy for future titles, if it comes in 4gb that is another story. None of this is fully announced and until we see a clear benchmark we can't judge.

• 54 months ago
  • 4 points

If you act like a fool, your actions will be called foolish.

The 290 you're so anxious to protect (since you own one) will almost certainly outperform the 380X in terms of raw performance in modern games, especially the 3gb version - so you can quit crying about that. Raw performance is (obviously) not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is the trifecta I mentioned earlier - it will be a more intelligent buy for your average consumer than almost any other card in the lineup. Performance isn't everything - almost everyone has a budget they need to work with, and a specific use case that will influence the decision as well.

[comment deleted]
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha, I just down pay attention to the comments sections I guess.

It's pretty hilarious how religious people get about GPU brands, much less CPU brands.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I do see it touching the 970 pretty well in some cases. At ~$250, that would be downright compelling. Higher, and it's kinda "meh."

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

This is regarding the Fury lineup, which is the new Fiji chip. Unrelated to the 380X, which turned out to not even exist (at least not yet). Looks like the 380 will have the Tonga PRO chip, so we are still waiting for a fully unlocked Tonga GPU.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Not 100% sure what you're trying to say. The 360 is probably going to perform less well than the 960. The 370 is more of a wildcard and, since it will ship with 4gb DDR5 RAM, could trade blows with the 960/970 depending on the title and whether or not it has enough bandwidth to effectively leverage all that vRAM. I expect the 380 to be competitive with the 970, trading blows on different titles but not quite being as energy-efficient.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

they won't match up like that. the 390X is matched up with the 980, the 390 with the 970 and the 380 is a rebrand of the R9 285, the 370 is a rebrand of the HD7850/R7 265 (Pitcairn Pro). nothing new in this segment and even price/performance hasn't really moved as these chips were already selling for ~$190 and ~$140 for 8-24 months already. this segment got basically ignored in favor of the Fury line.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, or or a 290X right now. the 390X is launching for $429.99 so that's a $70 difference (assuming the 980's price drop goes into effect across the board). either way, as I've maintained from the day it came out, the GTX 980 is a terrible price/performance card. it had an excuse when it was outright faster than every other single gpu card. Nvidia's own 980ti that's now $200 more expensive than the 980 still has better price/performance. the 390X is gonna eat up the 980 at 4k.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube