add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
GoldenGamer

51 months ago

I have a challenge for you

Is it possible to build a computer for $100? Let's find out. I have tried and tried but I can't seem to find a way to fit these things into $100:

-a cpu (with cooler)

-a motherboard

-ram

-PSU

-storage(hdd or ssd)

-case

All parts must be from the parts list on PCpartspicker. (No ebay links) The person with the cheapest functioning PC wins!!

Note: The only prize is the satisfaction of winning! (Who doesn't love that!)

BEGIN!!

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 3 points

You can visit the Build "Guides" and find innumerable builds like this. People must think they were the first ones to get bored and throw the cheapest or most expensive build they could together and must share it or something.

Given the current prices I don't believe it's possible right now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD 2650 1.45Ghz Dual-Core Processor $24.98 @ NCIX US
Motherboard *ASRock AM1B-M Micro ATX AM1 Motherboard $26.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory *Crucial Ballistix Sport 1GB (1 x 1GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $14.45 @ Amazon
Storage *Seagate 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $18.93 @ Amazon
Case *Apex TX-381 MicroATX Mid Tower Case w/300W Power Supply $26.99 @ Directron
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $112.34
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-09 00:37 EDT-0400
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes but it is VERY hard to get it under $100. The only two up there are missing at least one of the parts listed. (One has no box the other has no HDD)

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

Like I said it's not possible at the moment. Besides, you might as well buy a Raspberry Pi or something at this price range.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

At this point would be one of the only points where I would buy a computer as they come with OS which is at least $80.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube