add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I up the wattage of this power supply?

Tical84
  • 58 months ago

This is my current build. I may add a PCI-e sound card and possibly upgrade the GPU later on. So far my max power consumption is rated at 506W and I have a EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W in there now.

Should I up the PSU to something like a 750W? My budget is pretty much maxed already so I don't want to go crazy but could throw a couple more bucks at the PSU if it's necessary.

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

why are you getting X99? you've got a budget cooler that isn't gonna keep temps in check if you oc and a budget case. what is this build for? this build is cheaper with much better gaming performance, a better cpu cooler and case, and the 650 watt is fine for adding anotrher 970 in this build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $408.98 @ DirectCanada
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler $71.98 @ Newegg Canada
Motherboard Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $185.70 @ DirectCanada
Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $135.98 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $119.99 @ Canada Computers
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $88.95 @ Vuugo
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card $398.00 @ Newegg Canada
Case Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case $104.99 @ NCIX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $84.99 @ NCIX
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $39.99 @ Memory Express
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1669.55
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $1639.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-10 11:27 EDT-0400
  • 58 months ago
  • 2 points

Considering how he wants to add a sound card I'd assume he's doing some sort of proffessional work that would justify the extra processing power of X99.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

It's going to be used for CAD work (Revit, Solidworks, etc) and recording/composing/editing music. Applications that would work well with the X99. I also tend to upgrade every ~5 years or more so it needs to last. There will be some gaming on it but it's far from a gaming rig. That's why I went with the 5820K and the 280X is more of a place holder for now.

The computer I use at work strictly for AutoCAD and Outlook (no 3D rendering on this machine) is a Xeon E3-1270 v3 3.5.GHz with 32GB of RAM and is frustratingly slow.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know much about how solidworks functions, but revit is single threaded. at 4,4ghz the 4790k will be much faster than the 5820k. the problem with your Xeon workstation is low clock speed.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Solidworks uses multithread and Revit does for certain things like rendering, opening files and exporting to DWG from what I understand.

I'll do some more research. If I can go cheaper and not notice a difference, and won't notice for the next 5+ years than that's definitely the way to go.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

yea, there are specific tasks that it is multi threaded, clock speed is still a big advantage so 5820k and a better cpu cooler will have all bases covered.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have a cooler recommendation? I know this is the wrong sub-forum but that seems to be how all of my posts end up, haha.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

for X99 I'd recommend something like the Noctua U14S. performance is a couple of celcius behind the D14 and TC14PE, but it's much slimmer so you won't have any ram slot restrictions.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Let's say hypothetically I keep the current setup, can we go back to the original question? Do you recommend something higher than a 650W?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 58 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 58 months ago
  • -3 points

just to be telling u ur cpu is just the definition of overkill u will never ever use ll of its power. even the i7-4790K is overkill for this build go with i5-4690K for this build and get a 850W for future uogrades and r9 280x's crossfire :)

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on what he's using it for. Not everyone only plays video games on their PC.

• 58 months ago
  • -2 points

unless he gonna decrypt Kryptos the i7-4790K does the job well :P

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Or edit videos, do 3D rendering, run VMs, or use it as a part-time server.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube