• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

FH100 44 months ago

Yay! Finally a formatting guide that explains everything!

Well, maybe not everything... Since I don't know the specifics of what's going on, this is all based on some intuitive guesswork and testing. Only way we'll see something complete is if we get some staff to reveal exactly what they're using and allowing...

General Information

So, one of the things that's going to make this whole process a lot smoother and completely unlike a nice comedy routine is the use of an Escape Character. In the context of these formatting languages, an escape character changes how the following character is treated so that you can use formatting characters without actually applying the formatting. In the case of this language, the \ character (usually located above the Enter/Return key on QWERTY keyboards, others might make you look for it) is used as the escape character; so when you see it listed like *italics* becomes italics, I'm using the escape characters on those asterisks to make them stay as asterisks. Or not; there's another way to do it when using the code/mono-space font feature discussed towards the end.

I'm not going to cover the stuff mentioned in the "Formatting Help" box you can open located in the lower-right corner of any comment box; that stuff should be self explanatory. I will cover some "features"/quirks relating to them not mentioned in there though. So, if you aren't familiar with the basic formatting, take a look at it now and get familiar with it.

Now, while I haven't made any build guides or completed builds, I see no reason why these formatting options wouldn't work there (I mean, would the staff here really use two/three different setups for each different mode?). That means, from this point out, any build guide that's poorly formatted after having someone mention it and being linked here is in for it from those who want nice Build Guides (I know of a few people who are probably going to be doing that...).

For comments, you have one hour in which you can go back an edit it. More than enough time to fix any errors. If you start your edit before that hour is up and then don't finish until after that hour is up, it will not go through and return an error message.

And, after seeing this from a user I thought knew it all... (never going to give that up...) Formatting does not work in the title.

Removing Paragraph Spaces

I believe this deserves its own spot, as it's something a lot of people could do with learning. Instead of having to include a gap in order to separate sentences, links or other info, you can use 3 spaces (" ", for those of you who are going to be stumped by that...) at the end of the sentence/link/whatever to create a new line.
See? Used three spaces at the end of that sentence and bam!
New line without a gap between it.

Lists

Useful when you want to ask or answer several questions. The formatting guide already covers asterisk-based lists, but you can also use hyphens, "-", and plus signs, "+", to indicate them.

Numbered lists can be made by using 1. as the start of the line. Any number will do actually, as the formatting will force them to follow increasing Cardinal numbers.

Having a break in the formatting, such as with a quote (covered later), will force the count back to one; annoying when you want to quote the questions. This can be mitigated by adding the quote or text to the list. This is done by having four spaces, " ", preface the text/formatting that is to be added to the list. Formatting for this is a bit odd though, as the triple-space technique mentioned earlier doesn't work; you need to have a full line in-between...

For example:

1. Hi

(four spaces)> Quote

2. Hello

Becomes

1. Hi

2. Hello

Quotes

Yea, we don't have the ability to directly quote and reference something, but we can at least make it more noticeable as a quote. Quotes are linked when there's no intervening text, so you don't have to keep a steady line of > prefixes when you want to continue a quote. They also can contain and use all other formatting, such as headers, no-space line breaks, and of course links. You can also nest quotes with additional >; each nest will add another one of those vertical gray lines and indent the text more. Just to display what's going on...

> Hi
> Used three spaces at the end of that last sentence. Won't do that here, so notice the extra gap... > > > > Nested Quotes Rock!

Becomes

Hi
Used three spaces at the end of that last sentence. Won't do that here, so notice the extra gap...

Nested Quotes Rock!

Links

So, for the most part links are covered well in the help. It's not like they're a riddle or anything. What could be useful to some is to add some alt-text to the link, such as what I did for the first link in this topic. To do so, you need to add the text inside quotation marks after the link.
For example, [PCPP Forum Mainpage](https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/ "This is alt-text!") becomes PCPP Forum Mainpage.

Looks like this was patched to work right. (Thanks Philip!) Going to leave the text there in case there's some scenario where it's useful. Plus the UTF-8 code page is interesting...
The next quirk of the formatting is that some symbols screw up the link. For example, if there is a colon, :, in the link and not located in the http:// portion, the link will redirect to the same page; example: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums:/
Sadly, this can't be fixed by escaping the offending typographical mark; you have to replace the colon or whatever with the appropriate UTF-8 hexadecimal code for it. In the case of that colon in the example, the "appropriate" fix would be: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums%3A/
Quick reference guide for those codes

Tables

Not often used, but can be useful in the right circumstances are tables. We all know them from posting part lists, so here's the basics for those of you who haven't studied them.

Requires the column names to be listed first, using the vertical bar/pipe, |, as separation; Morning|Noon|Night|Even More!|And More!

Right after you have that you need to include some odd formatting, I'm guessing it's just to specify what's going on... It's just a repetitive :- for every column you have, along with the column separation. So for the example, :-|:-|:-|:-|:- would mark the text block as a column.

Then you can add your info into the table cells as you wish. Remember to separate where you want the cell to end with |. So, for the example, something like: Hi|Hello|Have|Fun|Now

Most formatting works inside the cells, including the code-like text (mentioned next). From what I've seen, Quotes and Headers don't, but why would they really be needed...?

So, to tie everything here up, putting those example lines after one another creates:

Morning|Noon|Night|Even More!|And More!
:-|:-|:-|:-|:-
Hi|Hello|Have|Fun|Now

Morning Noon Night Even More! And More!
Hi Hello Have Fun Now

Code-like text and/or Monospaced Font

Uhh... I haven't really seen anyone using much of this anyway, but just to try and go for completeness... You can have code-like text inside a sentence by using ` around the text (it's the Grave Accent character; check your Tilde key; it's to the left of the 1 on most keyboards). This allows you to have code like text inside the sentence. To have those Grave Accents inside code-like text, you need to add another grave accent on the start and end. So, for example...

He said `Hi` to me...

He said Hi to me...

``Never met anyone with a `grave accent`...``

Never met anyone with a `grave accent`...

I think it's using Courier as the font.

Section Lines

Header #2 already comes with a full-width line, but what happens when you need to have a line without a header? Well, then you just need at least three * or - in a single line; can't mix them though. Any spaces in-between those characters are fine, so * * * or - - - will produce:

One thing I did look into was the implementation of images. Sadly (err, actually thankfully), that portion of the formatting code has been turned off from what I have tried. Even if it did work, would you really want to have that knowledge out there for everyone to use? I mean, posting the basics to nuclear weapon design is "safe", no one is getting that much fissile material or would be able to do anything with it, but images are something everyone can post and scar us with...

So... Guess this is going to be the (current) end of the Guide. If I missed something, just point it out and I'll add it. Though, I'm thinking it's already long enough... Might be longer than what would fit on a 21:9 1080 or 1440 monitor in Portrait mode...

Comments Sorted by:

kylclrk 10 points 44 months ago

Wooooo!!!! You finally did it! Thank you!!

PCPP needs to pin this somewhere

FH100 submitter 7 points 44 months ago

Yea, took a good... Holy crud, 4 hours? to type up and check everything.

kylclrk 1 point 44 months ago

Well, kudos to you, my friend. Seriously, you put a TON of work into this and it really shows.

FH100 submitter 2 points 44 months ago

Aw man...

... And why haven't you linked to that before?

Godzlegend1 2 points 44 months ago

Hehehehehehehe ;)

A magician never reveals his secrets.

this is how I got all the nice formatting for my guides and such.

[comment deleted]
philip staff 10 Builds 5 points 38 months ago

The next quirk of the formatting is that some symbols screw up the link. For example, if there is a colon, :, in the link and not located in the http:// portion, the link will redirect to the same page; example: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums:/

So... I just found out where that bug is coming from. Should be fixable. (Once I do fix it, I'll let you know - if you want to remove/reword that snippet I can chat with manirelli about stickying this topic.)

FH100 submitter 4 points 38 months ago

Six months later...

:P

Sure, just tell me when the fix is in and I'll remove that section.

190n 2 Builds 4 points 41 months ago
phaserwolf 2 points 43 months ago

i have a question. how do people put the parts reviews in their finished builds?

FH100 submitter 1 point 43 months ago

I honestly have no idea, as I never made my build into a "completed build" on this site.

I'd guess that you would have to go to the part itself after posting the Completed build and write one there. Or it would be an option on the completed build page once the build has been posted.

kylclrk 1 point 43 months ago

Or it would be an option on the completed build page once the build has been posted.

Close. It's actually part of the process before submitting.

FH100 submitter 1 point 43 months ago

Is it after that description part? (Build Description (What do you use the machine for? What worked well? Any problems?)) Never got any further than that.

I can't remember. I think it might be the second to last step (last one being the pictures, I think).

EDIT

Yep, you enter the title and description. You then press save and I believe it's at that point that people can view it if they click your profile, but it doesn't get published until it has pictures. So, after you save it, you can click "edit" on each section, one being the part reviews.

Actually, it's just built into the process of submitting a completed build.

Tooth 1 Build 1 point 43 months ago

omg, I have been wanting this.

Skylord 1 point 42 months ago

Two months later and it is still helpful :)

danieltoruno 1 Build 1 point 41 months ago

Testing columns

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor Purchased For $317.00
Header #6
FH100 submitter 1 point 41 months ago

For Headers, you need to have the # at the beginning of the line.

So ###### Header #6 becomes

Header #6
danieltoruno 1 Build 2 points 41 months ago

Can I just say you are awesome for making this formatting guide?

danieltoruno 1 Build 1 point 41 months ago

thanks

piemancoder 1 point 41 months ago

I also found that making a bunch of ____ over and over again makes section line.

Xorex64 1 point 37 months ago

Me too

Boomstar 1 point 38 months ago

This is truly awesome!

Cheers

Xorex64 1 point 38 months ago

ploop

FH100 submitter 2 points 38 months ago

Move along. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here. :P

Xorex64 1 point 38 months ago

I was testing the qouting format

floridaboz 4 Builds 1 point 38 months ago

I was looking for this topic the other day and could not find it, glad i found it now.

TheNoob 1 point 38 months ago

Don't mind me
I'm just testing something
It worked!
I am doing it right!
You need 3 spaces and the enter key to make it work! :DDDDD

0BSiD1AN 1 point 37 months ago

I use 2 spaces to do that...

0BSiD1AN 1 point 37 months ago

hello

its me

testing this

header 4? Yes

header 6? Yes
ComputerSaysNo 1 Build 3 points 37 months ago

hello from the other siiiiide

floridaboz 4 Builds 1 point 37 months ago

Does target=blank work for links?

FH100 submitter 2 points 37 months ago

Such as [Hello]()?

Let's see.... Hello

Yup, but it just redirects to this topic/to the page it was used on.

I mean how target="blank" where it will open the link in a new tab, i messed around with it, but never got it to work

Ah. As far as I can tell, the links here are more "traditional" (if that makes sense) hyperlinks and can really just do the alt-text as a bonus. For new tabs, you'll have to mess around with your browser or always right-click and choose "open in new tab".

Maybe i just wanted to much. I was trying to do some changes to my profile to make it look better. One of things is, i wanted people to be able to click on my links but still be able to stay on pcpp, but you are right, at this point it does look impossible, i guess i spent to much time playing with raw html

[comment deleted]
Gh0st_1095 1 point 37 months ago

testing

Hi Hello Have Fun Now

TESTING

Cpu GPU RAM PSU
[INTEL CPU] (https://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80648i75960x) Hello Have Fun Now

HOW TO MAKE A PRICE TABLE ? PLZ HELP

You mean this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor $59.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler $89.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $51.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $201.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-13 10:55 EST-0500

In the system build page, look for the icon that looks like my avatar. Click that, and then copy and paste the block of text that pops up into a post here.

thank you , FH100. you're a good man.

FH100 submitter 5 points 37 months ago

you're a good man.

Or woman...
Or space squid...
Or rock...
Or super advanced AI...

Or right behind you! :P

haha my bad , i guessed you're a guy. sorry if i guessed wrong. can we have a chat on PM ?

itSp4x 1 Build 1 point 37 months ago

testing header 1

Hi!

testing header 2

Hello!

GentlemanShark 1 Build 1 point 37 months ago

ayy lmao

piemancoder 1 point 36 months ago

I wonder how PCPP reacts to emojis

SwiftKey Test : ☺,

piemancoder 1 point 36 months ago

Works on Android, can someone test for iOS and PC?

FH100 submitter 1 point 36 months ago

On PC, using Character Map: ☺♨☢

[comment deleted by staff]
shadowsok 1 point 36 months ago
a

a

a

a

a

a
a

a

#a

**#A

a

CompTechDev 1 point 36 months ago

Testing

Yup

This too.

Making sure this works

Useful formatting guide

Xorex64 1 point 36 months ago

First line
Second line
This crap actually works!
Thanks!

FH100 submitter 1 point 36 months ago

Of course it works!

Radox-0 5 Builds 1 point 35 months ago

I wish this was pinned. Great guide. Thanks for the write up.

Pcjulian12343 1 point 34 months ago

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

#YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
APhi11_3 1 Build 1 point 34 months ago

Header 3

Hi Hello
Bye Goodbye
APhi11_3 1 Build 1 point 34 months ago

Does it work?
Holy Crap it does!

DMorse 1 point 34 months ago

Commenting for later

FH100 submitter 1 point 34 months ago

For later? Ok...

darthfutuza 1 Build 1 point 31 months ago

Thank you that damn new line triple spacing trick took me forever to work out on my own, hoping some poor soul will find this guide and benefit.

Xorex64 0 points 37 months ago

code text

Xorex64 0 points 37 months ago

(This is alt-text)###flooper

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Looks good so far...

TechBros 2 Builds 1 point 34 months ago

Thanks haha, couldn't find a formatting thread where I could check my stuff, so I used this....hope that's okay :::!!!:::

Yea, I don't mind.

Heck, keeps this towards the top of the forum for others to see... (since it seems staff forgot about pinning it... or decided against it)

TechBros 2 Builds 1 point 34 months ago

Yeah, haha they totally should...

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
FH100 submitter 1 point 42 months ago

Probably because pinned topics are made by staff? Least, that's how they've been so far...

[comment deleted]

I'm just guessing at the reason, no idea as to the exact "why" of it. Could also be the same reason builds don't keep upvotes when changed; bad user could change the post and cause some misdirection...

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Try the examples I put up.

Copy/paste the Header 6 info in the nested quote section, and then try the three lines for the table (they're split up).

###### Header #6 is so weird!

Morning|Noon|Night|Even More!|And More!
:-|:-|:-|:-|:-
Hi|Hello|Have|Fun|Now

Header #6 is so weird!
Hi Hello Have Fun Now

No idea why it isn't working for you (at least the header thing). The table needs to be constructed like that, with column names, positioning and information on separate lines (1, 2 & 3+)

Table: Yes.

Header... nope.

Copy and paste this exact line:

#### Header 4

FH100 submitter 1 point 35 months ago

Yay! :P