add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Input on case airflow in my H440 setup

athalus

54 months ago

Hello Pcpartpicker community,

I would love to have your input on how I should configure my cooling on my rig I am building.

I am new to PC building so any input would be great.

The build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER Z97 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card

Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

As it is now, I am thinking of putting the radiator on the top, and considering replacing the fan it comes with in the back with a corsair AF140 or AF120 in the back of the case.

However, I am not sure on which way to have the fans going for optimal airflow. Also, is a push/pull configuration viable?

Thanks for the input.

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, is a push/pull configuration viable?

push pull is viable with thick radiators, and the X61 has a thin rad. I doubt there is an improvement with push pull configuration, so I would say no.

However, I am not sure on which way to have the fans going for optimal airflow

Front: 2x 140/3x120mm (3 x 120mm FN V2 Fans Included) INTAKE

Top: 2x 140/3x120mm EXHAUST

Rear: 1x 140/120mm (1 x 140mm FN V2 Fan Included) EXHAUST

As it is now, I am thinking of putting the radiator on the top, and considering replacing the fan it comes with in the back with a corsair AF140 or AF120 in the back of the case.

for rads you need fans with high static pressure.. Corsair SP (static pressure) are meant for radiators and heatsinks and the Corsair AF (air flow) for case fans. For a radiator the correct one is the SP and the others use the AF series. For the radiator there are much better options like the Noctua NF-F12....

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

NF-F12 is a 120mm fan, the X61 is a 2x140 rad :)

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I know, just one DUMB mistake...

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

one AF 124/140 on the rear exhaust is fine.

However, I am not sure on which way to have the fans going for optimal airflow. Also, is a push/pull configuration viable?

you won't be able to do push/pull with the X61 in the H440, not enough vertical clearance. from my own experience owning the case top exhaust sucks. hot air rebounds off the mostly sealed top panel. intake is easier and better in this case. the only spot that should be exhaust is the rear fan, but the top has no dust filter :(

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

So you say to make the top intake and the rear exhaust? Interesting....Would that have enough exhaust in the airflow then?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

one will be enough

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube