add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New PC still low fps..

Shorty005nl

56 months ago

Solution: fresh install Windows

Problem: Hi Guys,

I've just recently build a PC with a friend of mine. Here's the build:

Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 3200 1150 BOX

SSD: SSD 250GB 370/535 BX100 SA3 CRU

MB: MSI B85I Gaming B85

HDD: Crucial HGST 1TB HTS541010A9E680 5K1000 SA3

RAM: Crucial D3 8GB 1600-9 BX Sport K2 CRU

Videocard: MSI GeForce GT970 ME Gaming

Still when im playing a game like League of Legends i get FPS drops to 40 when it gets crowded. I would think that i shoudnt be happining with this build or am I wrong? I think it has something to do with the software.

Ive installed the drivers for the Video Card but the drivers for the Processor won't install because the program from Intell wont recognize my Processor.

I hope you guys can help.

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

What resolution are you playing at? If it's 1080p those should be higher. Also is it a multi-monitor setup?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm playing on 1920x1080 resolution. No only single monitor setup, BenQ RL2455HM.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

That's really weird. Everything I read said you should be 100+FPS most of the time. What does the FPS usually sit at when it isn't crowded? What Power supply is being used?

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

Its uselly arround 55 fps. Im using Corsair RM550, 550 Watt.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea make sure the monitor is connected to the video card and not the motherboard like others have said above. Also make sure the power cables are connected to the video card. A kid in my tech class only had one of the two power connectors on his video card and was getting low FPS and sometimes crashing.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

My monitor is connected into the GPU/video card. Could it be something else?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Do a driver scan, I use IoBit's driver booster and see if it recognizes your 970 if not something has gone amiss if it does recognize it then your GPU is faulty but do check you plugged your display cable into the GPU not the Mobo

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Im using Iobits driver booster. It found my GPU and it was up to date. Though i had a lot of Intell drivers to update. Maybe it helps.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I updated my drivers though if i test my FPS on here: http://infinitydash.deviantart.com/art/Framerate-Tester-60fps-351713708

Then i still only get 40 fps on 1500 Derpys.. I recon it should be alot higher

Anny other thoughts?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

The guys above gave you great advise to look into. The only thing I'm going to tell you is, your hardware is enough to put LoL and even new triple A games at WELL OVER 60FPS at 1080p. LoL I'd see you getting over 100FPS at all times. The video cable plugged in the wrong output seems likely and hopefully that is all it is.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that is what i thought. Do you maybe have an solution i could try?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Make sure all the cables are plugged in correctly on both the GPU and on your PSU.
  2. Make sure you're using the top-most PCI-E slot (closest to the CPU).
  3. Make sure your GPU is pushed down completely into the PCI-E slot.
  4. Make sure your video cable going to the monitor is plugged directly on your GPU and not anywhere else.

Try all 4, and let me know if any of it worked.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't be shy with the PC! pop that side panel open and get your hands dirty! try the 4 steps above!

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Also check PCIe power connector to make sure it's seated all the way as well, and plugged into the PSU all the way too.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I checked all four. Still no better fps. Anny other methods?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

What Power Supply Unit (PSU) do you have on there?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Im using Corsair RM550, 550 Watt.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Well ive tried a test with NovaBench. This is the result:

Verified NovaBench Score: 487

Test run on June 12, 2015 Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Intel Intel Core i5-4460 3.20GHz running at 3201 MHz

NVIDIA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU

8136 MB System RAM (Score: 161) - RAM Speed: 5087 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 136) - Floating Point Operations/Second: 42201568 - Integer Operations/Second: 101960004 - MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 283543

Graphics Tests (Score: 172) - 3D Frames Per Second: 515

Hardware Tests (Score: 18) - Primary Partition Capacity: 931 GB - Drive Write Speed: 47 MB/s

It seems low to me but to be honest i dont really get most of the numbers ;-)

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

From the frames you said you get on TW3 at ultra settings - that sounds normal.

Seeing as LOL is heavily reliant on your internet connection I would question the stability of you internet. What kind of router do you use? What are you internet speeds?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Im using a cable connection. Its a fiberglass internet connection. Im getting 90Mbits. My ping is allways arround 10-15 so i think my internet is good.

Though on the Witcher when i put everything on low i still only get 45-55 fps.. Even when moving 40.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm. Can you post your Witcher settings? It might be a combination of some high AA, Hairworks, and other things, but I wouldn't think a 970 would be struggling much maxed out.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I play LOL a lot and I find when my internet craps out, players just warp or freeze, but the client's frame rate doesn't seem to suffer. You can see the latency at the top right of the in-game HUD if you are curious.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes ive did and my latency is good.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Look in your device manager for any [!] issues. Disable the system's on-board graphics if you haven't already.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

How can i do that?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Its a little different for each version of windows, but in the control panel go to SYSTEM, and the button for device manager is probably in the HARDWARE tab. I think the [windows] key + the [pause] key will take you most of the way there too. If you are having driver issues the category will probably be expanded and you will see a yellow ! sign. You want to deal with these first for sure.

As for disabling the on-board video, which it looks like your system has, do that by booting in to your BIOS. again, they are all a little different, but that option should be easy to see and in plain english once you are there.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

My problem has been solved by a full reinstall of windows. I guess it was a conflict in drivers or something. LoL running between 250-300 fps and the Witcher on Ultra going on 60 fps.

Thanks all for your reactions!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I am about to build my PC and after reading these comments im scared. Do I have to manually chose the main GPU over the integrated graphics? P.S. This is my first build

[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I was about to ask the same thing..

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

my friend had a GTX 650 for over a year and was using integrated graphics the whole time. This is a known issue.

• 56 months ago
  • 3 points

HAHAHAHA!!! Oh my god, I'm sorry. That's probably not as funny as I think it is...

No wait, it totally is.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

LMAO

[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Well a friend of mine put the PC together so i will ask him to check it. Could there be anny other problem? Allthough using programs like OpenHardwareMonitor i can see the videocard. Or is that possible even when its not connected?

[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

It is connected into the GPU. Could there be annything else?

[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Well i checked it and the Processor is at 15% and memory at 49% when im running the Witcher 3 on Ultra/High settings. And my FPS was 35-50 ingame.

I also checked both connectors and they are connected firmly.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube