add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU Upgrade: Opinion Wanted

linkleo
  • 58 months ago

I'm slowly upgrading the components on my first build. I've upgraded the mobo, fans, cpu cooling, case, etc.

Now I'm on to the PSU. I just purchased an HX850i after reading wonders about the HXi series. I got 850 instead of 750 not because I needed it, but because the price difference was about $20-$30 and I found that to be worth the extra headroom. Was the PSU upgrade a good one?

I use this build mainly for gaming if not solely for that. I game happily in 1080p so I havent had an excuse to upgrade my 770, it's run everything I thrown at it at 60+ FPS on high to highest settings with at least AA 2x on (BF4, Shadow of Mordor, NBA 2K15, Sleeping Dogs). Once I upgrade all of the other components, I will move on to a new monitor/GPU, but hopefully that'll be a year or two down the line.

I digress! Do you guys agree with my PSU upgrade?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.98 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z97-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $159.98 @ OutletPC
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $54.99 @ Adorama
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $165.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $0.00
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card $340.00
Case Corsair Air 540 Silver ATX Mid Tower Case $129.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 OEM (64-bit) $92.95 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan $21.49 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan $20.85 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan $20.85 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan $24.46 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan $24.46 @ Amazon
Monitor Asus VE248H 24.0" Monitor $159.99 @ Amazon
Monitor Dell S2340M 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $142.99 @ Best Buy
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard $149.99 @ Best Buy
Mouse Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse $59.99 @ NCIX US
Headphones Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset $99.99 @ Amazon
Speakers Logitech Z313 25W 2.1ch Speakers $33.89 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2192.79
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $2172.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-11 11:58 EDT-0400

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Am misreading something? You bought an hxi 850, but your part list shows the csm 750. Is the part list what you currently have?

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I currently have the CS750M on my PC. I ordered the HX850i yesterday, it arrives to me tomorrow.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

The hxi is a good psu. Its a little too costly, in my opinion, but it will be good. Its a better psu. How much did you pay for it?

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I paid $164, the HX750i was $139. I just felt my PSU was the weak link in my build and wanted to get something solid to not have to worry about if I decide to SLI 770s which I may if I find a really good deal on a used one. Also, I've been overclocking my CPU/GPU and figured I'd want a higher end PSU to deliver the juice. Ultimately, I wanted a long term PSU. One that can potentially be in my next build a few years down the line.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

You could have paid a lot less for a high quality psu, but it will do its job. Very well.

I personally would have told you to buy this one

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Point taken. The things I liked most about the HXi's is that they run fanless for anything under very heavy or max load which I will likely never push. I also liked the corsair link feature. I realized I could get high quality performance for a bit less, but I wanted the high end feel of the HXi if that makes any sense. Were I on more of a budget though I agree with you, I could've easily gotten comparable performance for a bit less $$.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I tend to avoid corsair psus due to their lame bait and switch ********, even the better units as I don't wanna reward that kinda crap in anyway.

Personally I think 850w is a little over provisioned.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I figured it was, but for about $25 more than the 750, why not imo.

I'm not devoted to corsair, but I do like some of their products. As you can tell by my build, I like their cases, aoi coolers, RGB keyboard. Now their rgb mouse I wasn't a fan of and if I had to get RAM again I'd get it from Kingston/Hyper X just because my Cloud II headset's quality and packaging felt well worth the price.

[comment deleted]
  • 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I held both the M65 and the G502 at best buy and tested the buttons, grip, etc. I found the left/right clicks on the G502 to be noticeably more sturdy and responsive than those in the M65. The M65's left/right mouse clicks had a slight wiggle and were a touch mushy. Additionally, the G502's extra mouse buttons were more accessible than the M65 for which even the "sniper" button I found be in a slightly awkward position.

The G502 has a really neat utility in which you can set profiles for individual games that only trigger while you're on that game or selected program. You can set actual keyboard keys or actual commands like Ctrl+A or Ctrl+Alt+Delete as an example.

The G502 has a more solid, less plasticky feel to it, has the awesome weight system and the utility it comes with is amazing. You can have up to 5 DPI settings to cycle through, and even the DPI cycling buttons are programmable to other keys or full fledged macros.

As far as utilities and features for the M65, I didnt bring it home so all I know is what you can find on the web. If it's anything like my RGB keyboards utility, I'd give the utility/software side to Logitech also.

Lastly, I did try logitech's new keyboard while I was there, whatever their close to $200 keyboard is with the grooved keys and let me tell you... I thought it sucked, the keys felt indistinguishable from my $40 non-mechanical gigabyte keyboard. So I went with the K65 RGB which I LOVE. Keyboard: Corsair, Mouse: Logitech.

Above all, I recommend trying to get a feel for them if at all possible at a local store, or order both if you're able and return the one you like least. Hope that helps.

[comment deleted]
  • 58 months ago
  • 1 point

That is quite weird indeed, I guess that speaks to the G502s build quality. The M65 looks like a little nugget/meatball, if you have anything more than a small hand I'd really try the G502, you can turn off the blue LED from the utility, make it breath, etc. I actually had the M65 paid for online when i went into the store, and after playing around with G502 I picked up the M65 and at the same counter told them I wanted to return it. The look on the cashier was priceless. There's an off chance the M65 on display had been abused beyond normal wear and tear. At any rate, the G502 fit/suited me better, enough to overlook the RGB scheme of my keyboard and get the G502. Find a way to try them both!!

[comment deleted]
  • 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly I REALLY like the scheme of the HXi also. It doesnt necessarily match with anything for me, can't even see it on my Air 540 case, but I'm gonna cable manage the *ish out of it so I can pop the side panel and enjoy it every now and then. I guess the good thing is I knew I was overpaying a bit going into it and decided to choose it over the other "tier 1" PSUs anyway. But I agree with you, for a build I were to make for someone else whether friend or family, I wouldn't make them pay the premium.

[comment deleted]
  • 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I've read and watched nothing but great things about the HXi series as well as it being as tier 1 on all the PSU tier lists I've seen. I think beyond the price point, which wasn't a pain-point for me, it should be as good as any other PSU in it's category. "Worse" reads so harshly lol..

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube