add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
SeigneurAo
  • 58 months ago

Hey.

So, fellow forum members helped me avoid the mistake of going for a Corsair RM 550. I've been doing my homework (as well as some reading), and now it boils down to the very recent EVGA 220 GS or its predecessor, the G2. There are few reviews, understandably with such a new product, but some of them are arguing the GS is a bit less awesome that the G2. Bearing in mind that I'll have a very good PSU either way, would any of you guys have a definite reason for picking one over the other?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 4 points

550 and 650 watt GS psu's aren't as good as the G2 or the 850 and 1050 watt GS due to being on different platforms, the 550 and 650 watt ones are based on a new platform from Seasonic and iirc the 850 and 1050 watt models are based on the Seasonic X plaform, the G2 and the 850 and 1050 watt GS are on par with each other, I would just get the cheapest one for the wattage you need, you really can't go wrong with either one. Also the G2 has a ten year warranty on it where as the GS series don't.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Well... GS 550 is 120€. G2 750 is 127€. I guess it's kind of a no-brainer, given the information you provided.

Thank you very much.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

tier 1 (G2 750) vs tier 2 (GS550) = a no brainer

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Indeed :)

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

One last thing : will the GS be any quieter than the G2, in your opinion? That's one of the main reasons I'm considering these 2.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I know the G2 has a zero fan mode and iirc so does the GS so they both should be fairly quiet.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, thought as much. Thanks again!

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

boils down to the very recent EVGA 220 GS or its predecessor, the G2.

the G2 comes after the G1, not the GS ( as a matter of fact the GS is newer)... the G2 is made by superflower, and the GS is a totally different psu made by seasonic. All G2 are tier 1, but not all of the GS are tier 1 (only 850 watts and up). The GS (550 and 650) are both tier 2. The G2 as pointed by vagabond has a 10 year warranty while the GS 850 and up a 7 year and the other 2 (5 years). All are solid units so you cant go wrong picking....

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Tomshardware lists GS as T1, regardless of the wattage. Oh well, everything's pointing toward the G2 anyway, I guess I'm all set.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

just one of the many mistakes the tier list has.... the GS (850 and up) are all based on the X series by seasonic which is tier 1 and has a 7 year warranty. The GS (550 and 650) are based on the G series by seasonic which is tier 2 and has a 5 year warranty... ( so you can see the difference....)

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, thank you for the clarification.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, I think I'm set on a G2.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

evga just released (soon to be available) a 650 G2.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

That's awesome! Also, they're releasing a 550W model, which was my initial wattage of choice. Only problem is... Apparently the 550W/650W models only have a 7-years warranty, instead of 10-years for 750W and above. Plus, they've only just been announced and I'm not sure they'll be available from my usual online resellers by the time I buy my computer.

Not sure yet what I'll do.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube