add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Too many watts for wall?

DrJack6
  • 58 months ago

im going to run 4 overclocked titan x cards and 16 delta 5500rpm fans. not too mention overclocked 5960x. estimated wattage is 1600. so im thinking 2 evga supernova 1200w power supplies. but can i pull 2000w from my wall? that seems like a lot. i dont know anything about that sort of thing

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

for 4 titan X you would need a 1350 psu

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

16 delta 5500rpm fans

that's more than 700 watts, may I ask why do you need 16 turbine engines??????

but can i pull 2000w from my wall?

depends on the breaker capacity, pretty sure the cable diameter should be OK

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

how do i find out what the breaker capacity is?

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

the most important thing is that the cable that carries the electricity to that outlet where you are connecting the computer has the adequate thickness (gauge) to resist the amount of amps. You would need to calculate the amps to see the recommended cable and see if that's the one installed cause if its not it will get very hot and it might be dangerous,.....The breaker size depends on all of this factors as it cannot be that much larger in capacity as it would not trip if something where to happen, but you should probably ask an electrician as im not very good with electricity.

http://inspectapedia.com/electric/Electrical_SEC_Sizes_Amps.php

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

2- steps

1. wattage-to-Amps: For 2000 Watts, the Amperage reqd is 22.7, say 23 Amps. here: http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Watt_to_Amp_Calculator.htm

2. Amps-to-wire size: For 23 Amps and for a one-way cable length of 12 feet (say max), the wire sizes are: 12 AWG (copper) and 10 AWG Aluminum.. here: http://www.electricaltechnology.org/2014/04/electrical-wire-cable-size-calculator.html

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

What will help in this case, would be a single line diagram of your electrical works which shows breaker size, cable diameters, number of sockets on the line, ... If you have those plans by any chance, I could take a look at it (graduated as architectural engineer here in Belgium, so I know a thing or two about electrical works).

In short, what you should have is a 20A breaker combined with a 12AWG copper wire and make sure you can put your computer on a separate line (so no other devices are hooked up to the same breaker).

Commonly, socket lines are dimensioned on 20A, providing 120V*20A = 2400W of power. In your case, having 1600W with an efficiency of 89% will draw 1800W from the wall at max, which shouldn't be a problem if your electrical works have been done correctly. The problem is that often there are multiple wall sockets on the same breaker, and in this case having other devices next to your computer on the same line might make your breaker trip.

On another note: I believe JayzTwoCents mentioned his 3 Titan X's cause a bottleneck with this very CPU, so I'm not sure if getting 4 Titan X's will be that beneficial...

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

You will be able to pull 2200 watts roughly from the wall if the breaker is a 20 amp circuit at 110 volts, and roughly 1650 if it is a 15 amp circuit(Would not recommend pulling max current from a breaker as house wires will get hot over usage time and can start a fire). However, in the summer the voltage can sometimes go below 110 volts when everyone is running their ac's and this will reduce the wattage you can pull from the wall.(Sometimes at night you notice your lights get dimmer for a few minutes.) You also have to account for your monitor, and if you have speakers as well, as these will most likely be running on the same breaker. The PSU says it pulls up to 17 amps from the wall which would be about 1955 watts at 115 volts. So total maximum load from the wall if everything is maxed would be around 2125 watts, which is very close to tripping a 20 amp breaker.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube