add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I transfer Windows 8 OEM from laptop to new build?

ElectricUniverse
  • 60 months ago

I have a laptop that came with windows 8 installed. Can I transfer this windows to a new build?

If so how do I do that?

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

No, I don't see how or why Microsoft would let you. I mean, you could try and call them to see if there's anything they can do, but I can tell you right now that they won't do it.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

This makes my decision final on running linux on the build then. I am going to try steamOS first. Take it for a spin and see how it rides.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

WOAH! WOAH!

I just did it yesterday........... However it wasn't a conventional transfer.

I have (had... ******* thing broke, well I smashed the screen... anyway) a HP laptop, for weeks it just sat in my drawer.... But! i had an idea, remove the HDD and plug it into my pc, which I did! Minus completely forgetting my password.. the OS booted up and everything was fine!

There was no bios problems or nothing and it was an OEM version of windows.... However that's not "transferring" the OS so... maybe use your new HDD as a backup? or extra storage?

• Do note that just because it worked for me, doesn't mean it will work for you.
  • 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Really? Wow. I think you got really lucky because last time I checked, Windows was tied to the motherboard.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought the same thing........ Yet it worked, I was pretty happy, though I ended up wiping the entire drive because i forgot my password.... So in the end it didn't even matter but it still worked!

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it would have eventually given you problems, though. I guess there's no way to know for sure!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube