add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CMO 212 Plus - not enough room

cswor

56 months ago

have the mounting bracket on the back of the mobo attached to standoffs. assume some of you are familiar. that mounting bracket on back of mobo is touching backplate (TT Black 9x case). opening is not big enough. just pondering options:

1. leave as is. will it fry mobo/components when i hit the power switch?
  2. take tin snips to backplate and take out enough to clear mounting bracket. i think it would work. little ugly but whos going to see it?
  3. new case
  4. new cooler
  5. put the old intel cooler back, but seems it was running warmer than should: 58-60C at light load, close to 90C with some work going on.

any suggestions. will fix it one way or other this weekend.

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

Don't think it'll do any harm as the places where you screw in the standoffs are usually protected from electrical current or else your entire case would surge with electricity every time you power own.

If you still are worried putting some non conductive material(Electrical tape) between the backplate(Mounting bracket) and the side panel wouldn't hurt

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for comments. Its like working on a car. Its always takes longer than you think.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

i appreciate your advice. i fixed my problem this weekend by buying a newer case which was set up to handle bigger coolers. i expect your advice would have worked, but i was ready for a new case anyway and it was a lot easier. i bought a corsair 600t. not the sexiest case out there, but gobs of room and much better cable management.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

cooler and case dropped the near idle temps from around 58C to 42C. max has dropped from near 90C to 75ish.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube