add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU ok for this build?

Sajvinder
  • 58 months ago

The pcpartpicker suggest I am going to need 337W.

I have seen a people say that 500W is a minimum for gaming PC, so is the PSU I have picked ok for my build?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/CTqQ23

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

No, do not get that PSU, that PSU has low quality caps rated only for 30°C. That ssd

Bait and switch for the ssd

For the PSU Much better quality

For the ssd For above said reasons, this one is much better

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply.

Any reason the PSU and ssd in the build are not good? (first build so would like to get an understanding)

Does the rest of the build look good for a £700-900 build?

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

Just edited my post, to clean it up. Added some info about the PSU and a link for the ssd.

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

The rest of your build looks good, but, if you're going to overclock you'll need an aftermarket cooler. The optical drive doesn't have a price listed.

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

Wattage is fine, corsair cx range is not usually recommended tho, poor quality manufacturing & it's tested at a lower temp than most good psus which makes it easier to pass the 80+ tests, better units are available for near enough the same price.

Depending on whether you want gold/bronze and modular cables I would recommend any of these psus, they're all made by seasonic who are one of the longest running consistently well reviewed psu manufacturers -

Reviews should be available via the http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/PSUReviewDatabase.html

SSD has poor performance too after a nand switch last year, this is a nice budget alternative -

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for all the advice.

So think I will go with the suggested

Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Is the Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive fine? I have seagate products they have served me well with no issues. Don't think I will need more than 1TB.

For PSU

Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £58

OR

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £63

Are these good options to pick? or are there better options that are cheaper?

Looking at the Watt requirement for my build is 337W...so will getting a 600-650W cause me any problems like too much power frying/overloading other components?

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

The evga high current gamer is good. The evga nex is not. Too much power is not bad. Too little is. A PSU will be more efficient when run at 40 to 80 percent of its wattage. Seagate hdd is just fine.

Info on picking a psu

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube