add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which Dimension is the 'Length' of a PSU?

MichaelNiayesh
  • 80 months ago

Hello,

The case I'm getting says it supports up to a 140mm long PSU. Does that mean width or depth?

Here's the PSU I'm thinking about getting (if it fits): http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm

Is it under 140mm long?

Comments

• 80 months ago
  • -3 points

Get off your butt and find one yourself. You're just submitting suggestions and making other people do the research for you. You obviously didn't research the Seasonic before posting your question because only the height is under 140mm. It's clearly marked how long it is and there's little possibility that you could think it would fit. The same applies to the one you asked about a few days ago.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, the question is which dimension is the length of the PSU, because I've seen a lot of PSUs where it's 5.5x5.9x6.3 for example, and if the first one is the length it will fit, but if the last one is the length it won't. Whilst I was writing it however, I though I might as well ask if the one I'm looking at fits if I'm asking a question anyway.

So if you tell me which dimension is the length, I can probably find one myself, but if you show me a good one that's 500 watts or more, modular, and under 140mm long, I won't HAVE to look anymore!

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

The semi-standard is LxWxH but not everyone follows it. Which is why manufacturers, like Seasonic, almost always spell it out for you on their websites. Go to their site and look for the model you have in mind. If that doesn't produce a satisfactory result, search the web for that model until you find a site that specifically says which dimension is which. Reviews are usually better at this than retail sites.

Or let's look at this logically... All these different cases, all these different power supplies. Wouldn't it be a great idea if we standardized the width of PSUs so that they always fit the screw holes in the case? I think you'll find that the majority of them are 150mm.

Frankly, I think you should have gotten a different case, as most of the PSUs that I prefer are longer than 140mm. But it's something that I've never considered when buying a case, so I can't fault you for not checking.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, but I found one anyway.

It's this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-power-supply-st55fg

It's modular, 550 watts, and 80 plus gold!

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

You made a good choice, right size, good quality, higher watts and 80+ Gold. That's a win on all counts!

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a bit pricey, but other than that it's perfect!

[comment deleted]
  • 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Could you show me a 500 watt (or more) PSU under 140mm long please?

[comment deleted]
  • 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention it has to be modular aswell!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube