add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Batman Arkham Knight on PC - what a disgrace!

TANGO_ECHO_ALPHA

55 months ago

The internet is now full of a backlash against this, it's a disgusting port. I've posted a video with my own rant about the port at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWXhqUUi9Vg

Other YouTubers like CultOfMush have highlighted that the team doing the port was less than 15 people - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTmXb4fw3ec

If anyone has yet to buy this, I'd suggest keeping hold of your money until it's fixed. :(

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

So, for those of us who prefer reading to watching video (or, those who just can't get youtube), what's so bad about it? 4K looks more like 4000 pixels? Hit boxes make you think Batman's been eating doughnuts whenever he's not out fighting crime? Criminals seem to have such toughness, you'd think they'd all become avatars of "Roid-apus", the ancient Greek/Roman god of steroid abuse?

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

Also I'd like to add that the PS4 version of the game currently looks better than the PC. Rain textures on Batman's suit doesn't even show up on PC like it does on the PS4, so as you can imagine people are pissed.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

The frame rate is appalling in places. On a i7 4790k, 16 MB RAM, GTX970 G1 gaming, I've had it drop to ~10 fps in places. It's very stuttery and lacks the usual kind of graphical options we'd expect in a modern game.

To top it all off, it shipped with a 30fps cap in the game configuration files.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

16 MB?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, it was a typo. Although I am old enough to remember when 16MB was considered an obscene amount of RAM to have :D

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

It's actually a myriad of technical issues. The game itself looks and plays fine, design wise, but frame rate is appalling along with a 30fps cap unless you edit some game files after you install. Apparently, using the batmobile drops the frames to almost unplayable rates. There is a lot of stuttering and people reporting their saves getting deleted randomly.

It looks like there are a lot of patches ahead.

If you want more info, read the insane amount of bad steam reviews.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

So, it's like most major "AAA" game releases as of late then? Rushed to meet the deadline, works for some but poorly, definitely going to be getting some major patches soon...

Yea, I'm really cynical about this... I really want to get Fallout 4 the day it releases, but knowing this is like 99% going to happen, it makes me think I should wait a month or so until the major patches get released...

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends on the developers. Bethesda, in my opinion, doesn't screw around. They take the time they need, as Rockstar does, to actually release a game that isn't broken.

I'm not a fan of the trend of how ports are done. Shifting the work onto a developer group specifically for a port can be resource effective, I get that, but the result is like a game of Russian roulette. The guys who did BAK have done some really good work, and some really shotty work - I believe they just did the MKX PC port as well and that had some problems on launch that didn't go unnoticed.

I would much rather the devs spend a few more months or a year, or however long they feel they need, doing their own port and optimizing their game for the platforms they want to have it played on. It's got to the point where BAK isn't even being sold anymore because the PC port was so bad. I mean, that should be a wake up call.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know about Bethesda and Rockstar... Fallout NV is still randomly crashing on me after about 2~3 hours of play and from what I've heard about GTA V, there were several day-one crash scenarios.

Just for clarification, BAK = Batman Arkham Knight and MKX is the previous one? BAK isn't even being sold? Really? That's really unexpected...

Devs are always going to do this as long as they know they can push updates out. If they were told "updates must focus on expansions to the game", then we should see much more beta testing and only have fixes for major issues that never popped up, such as not working with a HBM GPU.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

You got BAK right - sorry, I thought get lazy sometimes.

MKX is Mortal Kombat X.

I don't have such problems with Fallout NV, but I do know that the Network issues plagued Rockstar's multiplayer for GTA V in the first two weeks, but I had not a single problem, nor did I notice the community as a whole having too many problems playing offline. I mean, As far as the PC port went, Rockstar took, what, a year and a half as they released it next to the now-gen console releases? GTA is their bread and butter though. It has a heavy legacy to carry, so I imagine they were much more focused on making sure it was playable lol

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

my 2 cents:

just built a gaming PC (i5-4690K, GTX 970) and got Arkham Knight free with the GPU. I installed AK on my SSD, and maybe am just one of the lucky ones because the game works fine. To be sure, it is obviously running at 30 fps, but there are no huge drops in fps or other graphics glitches or anything. It seems to be running perfectly stable.

And the game itself is pretty good, so considering I got the game for 'free' I am pretty happy about Arkham Knight

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Were you able to redeem the code with your graphics card, despite the game being pulled from Steam?

I'd like to pass a spare code to a friend but not sure if they'd be able to redeem it anyway at the moment...

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

If two Titan X's in SLI drop down to 35 frames in the batmobile, then how the hell do the rest of us play this? I guess the answer is we don't.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

We don't - that's when I had it drop to 10fps on a i7 4790k, 16 MB RAM, GTX970 G1 gaming.

Hopefully we won't have to wait long - but gives me a chance to play something else in the meantime :)

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Finished? There are 30+ possible endings! Get back out there Gwynbleidd!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

LOL @ Radox. An unfortunate typo :)

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe a bit naive, but let's hope it's the last time.

This kind of cr*p (AAA titles releasing pc titles with horrid performance) seems to appear more and more (Watchdogs and Unity come to mind here) and it's really an unsettling evolution imo where big titles advertise pre-ordering months in advance just to deliver a sub par product that get's to reasonable quality only multiple weeks after its release date.

Having the ability to patch after release really starts having an impact on the QA, it seems.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed. It's pretty shady practice, if you ask me. I wonder if there will ever be lawsuits about such things. Probably not, but a good enough lawyer might be able to claim this is "false advertising" since they're selling something that isn't complete but they're selling it as the finished product.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube