add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Oldest case?

ElectricUniverse

54 months ago

I am going super cheap and have a free case. I cleaned it out and it'll be fine. The kicker is that on the base inside is a chop. Basically a circular stamp in ink with a chinese character at the top, the date and then a chinese character at the bottom. The date is 5-18-1990!

That's old but it's big and well made. It still has the floppy faceplate on the front. I think I might put a SDcard reader behind that. I was planning on putting usb3 ports on the front using up one of the 3 5-1/4 slots. Not sure what to do with the other 2 free 5-1/4 slots.

The PSU's long gone.

But everything will fit so why not. This may be the oldest case around.

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Oldest? Nope. I think my local library still had some old Apple II from <1981 in storage. I should still have an old pre-1990 IBM in my own storage somewhere, unless it somehow got thrown out without me knowing...

You have to remember, you'll find the oldest stuff at pubic institutions that can't sell things. Local schools and libraries usually have a few old computers they somehow got but can't let go of. Not to mention some companies that are still using legacy equipment because that's the only stuff that still runs their programs and they haven't been able to upgrade for various reasons.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

But is your library building a PC using any of that old stuff?

It may well be the oldest case for a build on PCPP.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Could be, if they let me have it.

Also, you never made it explicitly clear you meant just on PCPP...

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Well claiming that it was the oldest case in the world would be dumb. I have no doubt that I've seen older cases at second hand stores and flea markets and swap meets.

But for PCPP I'd say it's one of the oldest.

But that's why the title says "Oldest case?" How would I know or anyone else. It's not possible to know. It's not even important. It's all for fun.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Yet I'm sure there are a bunch of posts somewhere on the web that do take that "this is the oldest case in the world!" stance. Hard to split them from "fun" posts when they aren't clear; maybe a title like "Oldest case on PCPP?" would have been better... Heck, main reason I came to this thread was to see if there was some history lesson going on, such as "this is the first computer case ever made for commercial PCs", since that would have been more fun and interesting than "hey, look at my case!".

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

It's the oldest case on PCPP. And PCPP doesn't allow changing the title.

This site is all about "hey, look at my case" and it's all about new builds and the latest components. That's why there's a link on the front page to "Completed Builds". Hey, look at my build.

Maybe you should go look at one of those collectors sites where they talk about nothing but old stuff if that's what you're in to.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

This case's getting put back into use otherwise I wouldn't have it. It is stout.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

The oldest case I have is one of those old 2005 HP Pavilion Media Center models but the one I found was probably a customized version since I can't find any OEM stickers around it.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

That case is older than me! lol

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

This could serve as a step ladder no problem.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube