add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cap FPS on games?

YoZync

55 months ago

Is there a way to cap the FPS of games so that they can't go above that certain FPS? It may sound like a noob question but that's because I am a noob. I wish to use a 60Hz IPS monitor, but I've heard that if the game played goes above 60 FPS (due to an outstanding gaming PC) there will be screen tearing and artifacts on the monitor display.

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Vsync.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

So if I enable Vsync, I won't have any trouble running 1080p BF4 at maybe over 60 FPS and I WONT have any problem running it on a 60Hz IPS monitor?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

It just won't allow your FPS to go above 60FPS.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

V-sync "sync's" the amount of FPS displayed with your monitor's refresh rate..

So a 60hz monitor will run at 60fps with V-sync enabled (if you can actually attain and keep 60fps of-course)

The problem I have is that if you can't keep a constant 60 or whatever the case maybe V-sync causes weird issues.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I've heard people complain about Vsync and how it screws up the display. I think I'll just go with an IPS.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly, IPS monitors are great!

Many people can't go back after using one.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I really am attracted to them, but I just worry about my FPS gaming and whether it will suffer too much from input lag to the point of being unplayable :(

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I've got a 144hz monitor and get 250-300 fps on cs go should I cap the game to 150fps ?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Some game come with locked FPS. Which suck for a high end system and not about to maximize the game.

Depending on your hardware, you should not have tearing on a ultra high system with vsync enabled.

Less than high end system, turning OFF Vsync will increase your FPS. Again, this is hardware related.

you didn't mentioned the game, which one??

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I am talking about FPS games (BF4, CoD Ghosts, etc.) but I will get a TN monitor now because I think I need the benefits of it for proper gaming and won't have to worry about Vsync

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube