• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

PartpickingGlory 46 months ago

Lately 4k gaming has become more attractive in my mind. Prices have started coming down significantly from a year ago. Maybe by Christmas Holiday deals will make a 4k monitor an affordable buy for many.

At the moment I have a 1080p display although for the long hull I plan on getting a 4k monitor. I have my build but can't decide on a GPU. I've been looking at many over the past few months however the radeon fury cards have thrown more variables into the game as well as the 980 Ti before them. I fully plan on upgrading to windows 10(directx12) which will probably effect 4k. My budget for a GPU is in the 600's and I could probably add 50 to that for a fury or 980 Ti. I have a 750w psu. What's the best GPU for 4k gaming I can buy?

My build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sHc2Mp

Thanks, PartpickingGlory

Comments Sorted by:

jacobs4525 1 Build 3 points 46 months ago

The Fury X and 980 ti are pretty neck-and-neck. The Fury X performs slightly better at 4K, but 4GB of VRAM may be a limiting factor in the future for 4K gaming. It also is apparently very loud. I personally would go for a 980 ti because of these factors, but if you're after all-out performance, the Fury X is a slightly better deal.

Jackson_Tyler96 3 Builds 1 point 46 months ago

Well with HBM and the very high bandwidth, I have heard that you do not need as much vRAM to drive games. I'd still get the 980ti though.

jacobs4525 1 Build 2 points 46 months ago

There's a lot of crap flying around about that, and most of it isn't true. The higher bandwidth allows it to use memory more efficiently, but it's still only 4GB.

jacobs4525 1 Build 1 point 46 months ago

Whoever is downvoting me, if you disagree with this comment or have an issue with it, please reply instead of just downvoting.

GreenBeanPie 1 point 46 months ago

Don't know who down voted you but you didn't deserve it. Here +1

Edit: as long as you can use it with a displayPort monitor I'd prefer furyX over 980ti.

juhni 1 Build 1 point 46 months ago

My opinion is if your not over clocking and/or building a small form factor system then the Fury. If you will overclock and/or build a standard desktop sized system then the 980 ti.

AMD should drop the price of the Fury a bit then it will make a very attractive alternative to the 980 ti.

ArchiMarK 1 Build 1 point 46 months ago

+1 Pretty much this.

The 4GB might be an important limitation in the long run, so a 980Ti just makes more sense on the long term at that resolution.

CodyLu 1 Build 1 point 46 months ago

I wouldn't get below a 980ti/FuryX if you want to play modern AAA titles at 4K.

Unless DX12 allows memory pooling in the future (and it is used) and you plan to get a second video card for its memory once Windows 10 comes out, I'd say 980ti. Somewhat lower power, slightly cheaper, similar performance, and 2 gb more of memory. For games you have to run at a lower resolution, the 980ti outperform generally will outperform the Fury X.

PartpickingGlory submitter 4 Builds 1 point 46 months ago

I'd like to thank everyone for their opinion and help. I think sometimes people forget how useful a free website like this is for people who don't have the fellow experienced peers for advice.

Fury X vs 980ti with Directx11 vs Directx12:

http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.php/reviews/hardware/vgacards/35798-reviewed-amd-r9-fury-x-4gb.html?start=21

Sum up: They use the 3DMark API overhead to test the performance of the 980ti and Fury x on the synthetic benchmark. In Directx12 the fury X can compute about 30% more compared to the 980Ti where it flips in comparison using directx11.

This is just a synthetic benchmark and how much this actually changes game performance in Directx12 games is in still major dispute. In many ways though I think AMD has been playing the long game for upcoming changes in Directx12. Mantle seemed to be their attempt to do it themselves but I think that Directx12 will bring everything to a different stage. If the price goes down enough I'll probably buy the fury X as AMD really tried on HBM. In addition I may add another card in crossfire as CodyLu pointed out. Otherwise, at the moment the 980Ti generally is the best buy although in 4k the fury X is similarly equivalent.