add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time booting a newly built system

Purest_Hope
  • 60 months ago

Hey guys, I hope this is posted in the right forum section and if it is not sorry in advance. My question is that my custom built computer is not going to have a optical drive with it. I was wondering if I could use a apple usb external dvd drive to boot windows 8.1 onto my system. Will the external disk work with the bios? Or will the external disk reject the computer since it is not an apple device. Any response is appreciated. Thanks to the pcpartpicker community in advance

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have a USB flash drive? Just use that. There are a load of guides on the web that detail how to make one into a bootable drive to install pretty much any OS.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I used a usb drive with an iso file to put windows onto a mac. I used the bootcamp to do it. Do you think Bootcamp formatted the iso file into being able to use it to install windows onto the system?

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't know a thing about Macintosh computers, sorry. I do know that to install it onto a normal PC, you need to use a certain program to format the USB drive to work properly.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

well thank you for the advice anyway, I'll just use google from here and I should be fine. Thanks again FH100

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

...apple usb external dvd drive...windows 8.1...

If applicable, listing of OS support should be listed at the hardware product's website.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I just asked the same question to myself 3 days ago. I found a very simple and easy process for your solution.

Rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/

This was way too easy. Microsoft's method is the hard way.

Rufus download can be portable. One tab for your selections, fast results. Any questions, post here :)

Boot from USB drive

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube